VMware Communities
hstony
Contributor
Contributor

VMware cannot boot normally - initramfs

Hi all,

Currently facing an issue where halfway through my work using kali linux created in vm, it will suddenly throw me with an error message that the machine is now in read-only state. And subsequently when I restart, I cannot boot up normally as well. This is the screen that I am facing

hstony_0-1640185111780.png

Any advice is really appreciated. Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Host OS and version?

Workstation Pro version?

Made any changes to either of the above?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
hstony
Contributor
Contributor

HOST & Version = Linux kali 5.14.0-kali2-amd64

Workstation Pro 16

No changes made to the above 2, the read-only issue arises without any actions from the user end.

Is there any workaround to bypass the read-only problem?

0 Kudos
hstony
Contributor
Contributor

I have upgraded it from 4GB to 16GB memory. But the problem still hits.

I tried to go for recovery, but still stuck at initramfs..

hstony_0-1640233898788.png

Any help?

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

From your other thread
https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/Missing-vmdk-file-but-the-file-is-in-the-di...

your host looks like is Windows (C:\Users\ directory would mean it is Windows) and not Kali Linux. Kali host would likely have something like /home/$USER not C:\Users\....

I will repeat the same advice as before, avoid using OneDrive to use it to run your VM(s) from. Best to run it from local storage without any cloud synchronisation and save yourself a lot of grief.

0 Kudos
hstony
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I have switched over to local drive since your last reply. So I am doing that.

Ohh, so my bad, the HOST is Windows

hstony_0-1640236481145.png

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Considering the VMDK was damaged before, it is probably best to re-create the Kali Linux VM on local storage (either import the VM image from Kali or create from scratch using Kali Linux ISO).

If you want to recover any files/data from this Kali VM going bonkers, perhaps just add it a second virtual drive to the new Kali VM and try to recover whatever you can. Mounting the VMDK as a Windows drive on the host is NOT an option as Windows OS is not able read Linux filesystems natively.