VMware Communities
SnowMonkeN
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (vthread-8) - Workstation 12.5

My fresh installation WMware Workstation 12.5 on Windows 10 x64 crash without any action.

Error : VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (vthread-8) NOT_IMPLEMENTED bora\lib\pollDefault\pollDefault.c:3914

My log file is attached. I don't know what I can do.

Anyone has had this problem?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Susie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks so much to using Workstation 12.5!

I have sent the attached ui log to dev for further debugging.

Could you also provide the log file C:\Users\nicos\AppData\Local\Temp\vmware-nicos\vmware.dmp ?

So appreciated for your great support!

0 Kudos
SnowMonkeN
Contributor
Contributor

Hi !

Thank you for your quickly answer.

I sent you the file ".dmp"

Best regards

nico

0 Kudos
Susie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks nico for your quick update! I will forward it to dev and let's make our workstation product better together!

Best Regards,

Susie

0 Kudos
WeigangHuang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi nico,

Please upload support data as well. You can click on WS menu -> Help -> Support -> Collect Support Data, and then select VMs you were running before the crash and click on Collect... button.

Another questions - how many times have you experienced the crash with WS 12.5? What's the frequency of crash?

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
SnowMonkeN
Contributor
Contributor

Hi !

I have a crash with VM Linux started and without VM started.This is the same problem, with VM and without VM.

Frequency : Every time I start Workstation and leave in standby. I use another program et I will use again Workstation, the message "error ..." appear . I can use VM Linux but if I close message  "error..." Workstation shutdown. And I must delete xxx.lck for use again my VM.

Best regards

nico

0 Kudos
SnowMonkeN
Contributor
Contributor

2016-09-18-19-07 with VM Linux started

2016-09-20-20-19 without VM started

0 Kudos
WeigangHuang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thank you for uploading the support data! There are 3 suspicious modules found inside the workstation process:

1. avcuf32

2. SS2DevProps

3. SS2OSD

The first one is related to AV software BitDefender. The other two seem to be related to ASUS software(asustekcomputer.inc)? This crash might be due to the conflict/incompatibility between workstation and the above. Would you please uninstall BitDefender and ASUS soft and then retry workstation to see if the crash will be gone? If workstation crashes again after uninstalling BitDefender and ASUS, please upload the corresponding support data as well, thanks a lot for your support!

0 Kudos
Neverlyn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you using an ASUS Maximus VIII Motherboard?

There are a few people on the forums with that series motherboard receiving your error:

(Seemingly) Random Crash - V-Thread 11

VMWare Player unrecoverable error: (vthread-11)

Workstation Pro - vthread Crash

Also, as a possible temporary workaround, you should be able to delete your .lck folders and start up your VM again. You'll probably find your VM still running in the background just not accessible until you delete the .lck folders; this is because the VMware service is not crashing but the VMware Workstation application.

Here is a link to my PowerShell script to automate that process: Re: VMWare Player unrecoverable error: (vthread-11)

Good Luck!

0 Kudos
SnowMonkeN
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

After uninstalling the software asustekcomputer.inc. The workstation works perfectly even with BitDefender.

Thank you very much for your quickly answer. That's perfect.

Best regards

nico

0 Kudos
SnowMonkeN
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

My mothoerboard is GX700VO. It's a notebook.

My problem is resolved, after uninstalling software asustekcomputer.inc.

Thank you for your answer and for your PowerShell script.

Best regards

nico

0 Kudos
WeigangHuang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Nico,

Glad to know your issue has been solved. Thank you for choosing VMware Workstation!

Best regards,

Weigang

0 Kudos
lcbrevard2012
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the exact same crash on an ASUS Republic of Gamers laptop G7551JT-TH71 with NVIDIEA Geforce GTX 970M.

Running Windows 10 Pro 1607 update release, fully updated with the latest Workstation Pro 12.5 update.

This is the dialog that shows. The referenced log file is attached.

20161015-Workstation12_5-GUI-crash-dialog.png

I've also attached the vmsupport*.zip generated file.

I've had this same crash since July 2015 on Workstation Pro going back to version 9.

It is almost certainly related to some of the ASUS gaming support but I don't know which. This has the following installed:

1. ASUS Gaming Center
  2. ASUS GIFTBOX Desktop
  3. ASUS Live Update
  4. ASUS ROG Gaming Mouse
  5. ASUS ROG GAMING MOUSE GX950
  6. ASUS ROG MacroKey
  7. ASUS Screen Saver
  8. ASUS Splendid Video Enhancement Technology

I most suspect the last one as a culprit.

I have a script to delete all the left-behind .lck files and then I can open the GUI again and continue. But it's sure a nuisance and I'd like to know what is actually going on here. I strongly suspect video event handling but...

Trying to file a support ticket is an exercise in madness with the brain-damaged VMware Support site that only lists my VMware Fusion product at this time. I filed a bogus ticket on this issue as if it were are Fusion Pro 8.5 bug since that's all I could do.

I've been a loyal and enthusiastic VMware Workstation user since 2002 and use Fusion as well as ESXi but the inability to submit what is clearly a BUG is really stupid.

Virtual Box is looking better and better.

EE and programmer before UNIX existed.
0 Kudos
WeigangHuang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thank you for uploading vmsupport data. Would you please upload the crash dump(.dmp) as well?

0 Kudos
lcbrevard2012
Contributor
Contributor

I missed uploading the .dmp before. It is attached now.

I also included the vmware-unity-helper*.log generated at the same time.

Thanks!

EE and programmer before UNIX existed.
0 Kudos
WeigangHuang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks very much for providing files we need. We found two suspicious:

1. mdnsNSP

2. tv_w32

'mdnsNSP' seems to belong to Apple Bonjour software, and 'tv_w32 ' appears to be related with remote access software 'TeamViewer’. Could you please uninstall both of them before running again the Workstation to see if the problem can be fixed? Thanks!

0 Kudos