VMware Communities
Polda18
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0)

Hi. I wanted to boot up my MS-DOS virtual machine and this greeted me:

pastedImage_0.png

What happened here? What is VERIFY D:\build\bora-16894299\bora\vmcore\monitor\ulm\platform\windows\ulm.c:967? I do not have 😧 drive in my system, nor do I have any sort of source code it tries to verify? What's going on?

This is contents of the log file:

[log dump removed by moderator]

“Don't pitty the dead. Pitty the living. And especially those who live without love.”
15 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Please use the Attach function in the bottom-right of the post creator to add logs, rather than doing a copy/paste of thousands of lines of text.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

0 Kudos
Polda18
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Oh, sorry, didn't see it (too small, didn't notice it is there - I was looking for it though, honestly).

Okay, here we go.

“Don't pitty the dead. Pitty the living. And especially those who live without love.”
0 Kudos
hahakiki2010
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

MS-DOS virtual machine is not supported by WS 16.0.0

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

hahakiki2010,

Regardless MSDOS VM is supported or not in version 16.0, it looks like there is a problem of the ULM crashing with the Windows 10 insider preview.

This thread has

2020-10-28T10:52:03.615+01:00| vmx| I005: Host is Windows 10 Home, 64-bit (Build 20241.1005)

and other thread https://communities.vmware.com/message/2993299#2993299

2020-10-27T01:38:34.103-07:00| vmx| I005: Host is Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit (Build 20241.1005)

Both crashes on the same line of code

2020-10-27T01:38:42.942-07:00| vcpu-1| E001: PANIC: VERIFY D:\build\ob\bora-16894299\bora\vmcore\monitor\ulm\platform\windows\ulm.c:967

2020-10-28T10:52:06.740+01:00| vcpu-0| E001: PANIC: VERIFY D:\build\ob\bora-16894299\bora\vmcore\monitor\ulm\platform\windows\ulm.c:967

Eventually this insider preview will become Windows 10 21H1 (or whatever MSFT will call it); so this ULM crash should be looked into.

Thanks.

RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

My MS-DOS machine works just fine under Workstation 16.0.  And it's the first production release with dariusd's fix for the CGA mode 6 in the video graphics adapter... so it darn well BETTER be supported!

0 Kudos
Polda18
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So it is issue of Windows 10 Insider Preview? This is my Insider Preview build:

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
DDoSolitary
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue when trying to boot a Windows 10 guest using a Windows 10 Insider Preview (build 20246) host.

Polda18
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So it hasn't been addressed yet. I'll try out my Linux guest and if it fails to boot, too, due to the same error, then I guess we need to report it to Microsoft as well...

0 Kudos
DDoSolitary
Contributor
Contributor

I just checked my Arch Linux VM and got exactly the same error.

Polda18
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah, same for me. Checked my Ubuntu Server VM and same error. Microsoft, please fix this...

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You might be better posting this on a Microsoft forum than here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
Polda18
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did just that, waiting for a response therefore: VMware and Hyper-V compatibility - Microsoft Community

Let's see what Microsoft devs has to say about that...

0 Kudos
Polda18
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So it has been addressed and fixed in build 20251, and I can confirm that it works in my current build 20251.1

Isak Pao wrote:
> Seems like it has been fixed in Build 20251, VMWare running on the Hyper-V enabled Host able to functional again.

Thank you 🙂

Rick_Sanchez
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like it stopped working with build 20279 and 21277... 😞

0 Kudos