VMware Communities
RalphA
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (mks) Exception 0x0000005 (access violation) has occurred.

"VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (mks)

Exception 0xc0000005 (access violation) has occurred.

A log file is available in "D:\VMWare Images\Windows 10 x64 - Sentinel SQL Server\vmware.log". 

You can request support.

To collect data to submit to VMware support, choose "Collect Support Data" from the Help menu.

You can also run the "vm-support" script in the Workstation folder directly.

We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement."

I am seeing the above error occur whenever I open a specific virtual machine.  I have tried numerous snapshots and it occurs in all of them.  I looked in the log file and it seems to be attempting to update VMWare tools when the problem occurs.

Host and virtual machine are both running Windows 10 (1909) with all latest updates.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ralph Allebach

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thank you for including the logfile!  From that log:

2020-02-10T15:57:32.247-05:00| svga| W115: -- DETECTED D3D11 DEVICE REMOVAL --

2020-02-10T15:57:32.248-05:00| svga| W115: DX11WindowSwapBuffer: hr=DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

2020-02-10T15:57:32.248-05:00| svga| I125: MKS-RenderMain: LostRenderer

"Device Removal" tells us that your host's graphics device stopped responding while Workstation was using it, which probably means that the host Windows detected a GPU hang and forcibly restarted the GPU, interrupting what Workstation was doing.  You may be able to find details in the System section of the host's Event Viewer application.  Workstation can place unusual stresses on a graphics device, partly because that GPU is now handling the graphics for two entire operating systems (essentially), and partly because Workstation uses the GPU in a way quite unlike most other applications.

The failure could be the result of a problem with the host graphics drivers – perhaps check for updated NVIDIA NVS 310 drivers – or with the host graphics hardware itself – it's always a good idea to check that the GPU has adequate airflow to ensure it is not overheating, too.

The VM name suggests that it is used as an SQL server, in which case you might simply be able to work around the problem by turning off the Accelerate 3D graphics option in the VM's Display Settings​.

--

Darius

0 Kudos
Naimahbintalib
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, @dariusd I have the same error as well. Can help me take a look at my log file? Thank you.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos