VMware Communities
grijander
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: Worker #0

Hi,

vmWare Worstation 10 suddenly crashed. After trying to reboot the virtual machine next error popup is show.

vmWare.01.PNG

And final part from the log is:

One more interesting thing is the memory used by this virtual machine '280GB', when the disk space is only of 30GB.

vmWare.02.PNG

• What is the root cause of this failure?
  • How can it be solved?

EDIT: I have also tried to repair the *.vmdk file with 'vdiskmanager' but it has failed too (vmware-vdiskmanager.exe -R "file.vmdk").

vmWare.03.PNG

EDIT2: I have found the original Windows7 VM, so I replaced the corrupted '*.vmdk' for the original one (although VMs have already different storage size), and VM starts to boot, until next message appears:

"A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

• Any idea about how to solve it?

KR!

5 Replies
grijander
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone can help me, please?

* VM has not been copied, it just crashed, and now there is no possibility of reboot. So, if the *.vmdk file is corrupted, is there any way to restore it?

0 Kudos
grijander
Contributor
Contributor

Is anybody there?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Your vmdk is in a bad state - very likely you will not be able to fix the errors with vmware-vdiskmanager -R <vmdk-name>
Anyway - try a repair with vdiskmanager.
If the current version does not work - try the binary that comes with WS 7.
If that also fails - try other 3rd party tools like:
- vdk.exe /vdk64.exe
- WinImage
- Starwind V2V converter

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you already verify the integrity of the host's L: drive - on which the files are stored - ?

André

0 Kudos
grijander
Contributor
Contributor

Hi continuum‌,

I have just tested with the apps you have shared.

- vdk didn't work.

- WinImage works until I tried to get the files from "..\Users\user\path", then app crashes.

WinImage.01.PNG

- StarWind works and create two new files, '*.vmdk' & '*-flat.vmdk'. But here I have a newbie doubt, how can I access to the content of these files?

KR!

0 Kudos