VMware Communities
bababab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Workstation's Defragment vs Windows host's Defragment?

Hi,

Does anyone know exactly what the difference is in the Defragment option available in Workstation's: VM | Settings | Hardware tab | Hard Disk | Utilities dropdown | Defragment", vs the Windows host's native defragment utility (aka defrag.exe) ?

I'm not finding any information that says WorkStation's defrag utility does anything different than the host's Window's defrag. I could guess that VMware's Defragment it possibly only defrags the VM's files, as opposed to the Windows host's defrag which defrags the host's entire volume. That might be a faster way to defragment the VM's files if saving time is your goal.

I'm assuming that Workstation's defrag is not defragmenting the (e.g.) file entire NTFS file system of a Windows Guest OS volume, or (e.g.) an Ext4 file system of a Linux Guest OS volume.

So, is Workstation's Defragment defragmenting some internal structure of the vmdk and/or snapshots? After several hours of research, I'm still clueless what Workstation's Defragment actually does.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge on this inquiry.

Regards . . .

0 Kudos
1 Solution
4 Replies
bababab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks louyo 🙂

Item "2." in the link you provided explains this perfectly.

So we can now say that this statement I made is not true and we can ignore this paragraph: "I'm not finding any information that says WorkStation's defrag utility does anything different than the host's Window's defrag. I could guess that VMware's Defragment it possibly only defrags the VM's files, as opposed to the Windows host's defrag which defrags the host's entire volume. That might be a faster way to defragment the VM's files if saving time is your goal."

My guess of "So, is Workstation's Defragment defragmenting some internal structure of the vmdk and/or snapshots?" was close, but I didn't know exactly what was happening until I read "2." in your link.

Regarding my initial quandary, I've marked your reply as Correct Answer.

Now that I understand what "VM | Settings | Hardware tab | Hard Disk | Utilities dropdown | Defragment" does, I'd like to briefly add the topic of "VM | Manage | Cleanup disks ..." to this thread. Would I be correct to say that the Cleanup Disks function is similar to the way we used service vhd files several years ago: it was a bit tedious, but basically we used a utility to write zeros to all unused space in the vhd, then there was a second utility that would compact the vhd after that, thus returning space to the host volume. I have the details of that old procedure, but I don't think we need to revisit it here.

Do you know if I'm on target with the "Cleanup disks ..." function?

Again, I appreciate your comments.

Regards . . .

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi

Cleanup disks is different.

Please read the details about it in the documentation here:

Clean Up a Virtual Hard Disk on Windows Hosts

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
bababab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, that explains Disk Cleanup. Thanks Wil 🙂

0 Kudos