VMware Communities
Geraldcr91
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Workstation issues on Dell precision 5530

Hello Everyone . 

I've been facing some  issues with VMware workstation 15/16 proo recently . 

I used to use workstation to build some machines specially Cisco FMC/FTD for home lab. It has been working fine on my Acer aspire machine 16RAM/corei5 4 cores , however newer Cisco devices needs more resources, so now I have this Dell precision 5530 laptop. 

The thing is that when I tried to boot an FMC on vmware workstation it just shows " boot 6.4.0  loading"  and gets stuck there, it can run for hours with no errors or progress until you turn off the vm .

Same virtual machine in this case (FMC 6.4.0) intallation/booting goes fine on the other laptop (with less resources), after the "loading" I suppose to see "" BIOS DATA CHECK SUCCESFUL" but it seems this is not getting done . 

I have collected somo logs created within virtual machines folders . I started running same ovf file on both computers and settings are exactly the same , so I have 2 files one on working machine and other on non working machine,but cannot find a solution. 

I attach the logs on both machines and screenshoot of the VM behavior . Any assistance will be greatly appreciated 

Labels (1)
  • h

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

One obvious difference

The system where this VM does not work has Hyper-V enabled (the log is saying that the monitor mode is ULM which says that Hyper-V is active). The log where the VM work does not have Hyper-V disabled (monitor mode is CPL0). 

you might want to search the forum and tech notes for advice on fully disabling  Hyper-V and trying again to see if anything changes. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Geraldcr91
Contributor
Contributor

Technogeezer

Thanks so much for your feedback. I've done that already and disabled Hyper-V in 2 ways (GUI and power shell )in my previous researches. I think that is the real issue, that Hyper-v is not getting disabled as it should . Will research little bit more in regards of that feature and will keep you posted

Since these VMs are preatty important for my dayli basis , I thoutht about a workaround , so I install ESXI on the VM workstation  and it got installed  fine however when I try to build the same VM (FMC 6.4.0) I get an error not allowing it to boot . This time I receive the following error . 

"Failed to power on virtual machine FMC-6.4. This host does not support Intel VT-x. " 

Virtualize Intel VT-x /EPT or AMD-v/RVI box is not checked on VM created to host ESXI ,which suposes to be the issue . So I'm not sure if this could be also related . This option is also disabled for VM created to host FMC . 

0 Kudos