VMware Communities
ppan7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Workstation does not support nested virtualization on this host.

Screenshot_2.jpg

After Windows update 2020 may build 2004, vmvare doesnt support Virtualize intel Vt-x/EPT. How fix this problem. I update vmvare to 15.5.5, But it didn`t help

Tags (1)
75 Replies
addohm1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I recently had some issues with my laptop that required Lenovo remoting in and molesting settings and ultimately resetting things.  Once again I ran into the nested virtualization not supported error.  At this point, I am pretty well practiced in this **bleep** of an error.  Went into windows 10 features and turned off "Virtual Machine Platform", rebooted and viola, it works again.

addohm1_0-1658963070346.png

SInce I had to reboot anyway, I went ahead and made sure Intel VT-x was enabled in the BIOS.

I also made sure of my VM engine settings.

addohm1_1-1658963183546.png

0 Kudos
Sudqi5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

but I need to use this interface, I don't need to disable it to solve the problem, can you advise, please?

0 Kudos
Nate7373
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I know the original post is old but I had this exact issue today.  I tried all the things listed like the power shell edit, rebooting, uninstalling/reinstalling etc.  My fix doesn't seem to be listed so I'll add in case it can help someone down the road.  I noticed the device security exclamation point one day in windows defender (see pics) and went in and turned it on.  A day or two later I tried to open Cisco CML2 (nested VM) and even tried just a normal linux VM and all failed.  The nested CML2 VM had the same error as the original poster and the linux non-nested VMs had a different error, something about authorization.  Long story short I turned memory integrity off, rebooted and all my VMs started working.  Just to test I turned it back on and it killed all VMs again.  This was the fix for me.

Windows 11 Build 10.0.22000

All VMs were Ubuntu based but I don't think it matters.

1.jpg

2.jpg

  

Sudqi5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The post is old, but maybe this will help someone,

The problem in my case is I installed the Sandbox feature in my windows so this feature takes that VM interface, when I disable it, it works normally again

HoneyBadgerDont
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Despite the age of this thread, this issue continues to present itself for me. Running Windows 11 Enterprise 22H2 on a Dell Precision 3650 (i7-11700, 48GB RAM), have had the issue with Workstation Pro 15 and 16 and with previous versions of Windows 11 and 10.

I can never guarantee a patch, or a BIOS update won't change some security feature and end up causing this issue. It's getting fairly frustrating that I have to waste 30-45 minutes every time this happens to troubleshoot. While Workstation is a better platform, this issue is the one thing that continues to make me want to say "I'll just use HyperV, forget this" and be done.

I used BCDEDIT today, and removed the Virtual Machine Platform from Windows (somehow installed again), and I'm still not getting into my VMs. Error about side channel mitigations enabled. Followed by "would I like to disable VT-X/EP-T".  Followed by failing even if I disable because nested virtualization isn't supported.

milindng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

You can try with steps mentioned by me in my last reply :-

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/Workstation-16-Pro-Error-quot-Virtualized-I...

Please update me in case this help you get resolve your problem

Thanks

Jonnymac58
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Nate that fixed it for me

AlbertKaraev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

love u😍

ehenley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have done all of the recommendations and periodically find after reboot that VBS is running again.  The only thing I've been able to do after VBS is magically re-enabled is to use Microsoft's DG Readiness tool to re-disable VBS;

To Disable DG/CG.
Usage: DG_Readiness.ps1 -Disable

I downloaded the latest version Readiness Tool Version 3.6 Release.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53337

Version:

File Name:

dgreadiness_v3.6.zip

Date Published:

10/26/2018

File Size:

32 KB

suman98
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot 

Tags (1)
thiagozero21
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Perfect. It worked for me. Thanks! 

ehmedtalal
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

bro i am your slave for the rest of my life

addohm1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This (ehenley's replu) worked for me.  

Note: I did NOT disable the malware protection part.  Just the virtualization part.  I DID try disabling the guard in the group policy editor before hand but it didnt work.

The fact that this is still a thing in 2024 is why I don't buy this software anymore.  It's (this issue) existed now for what, 7 years?

Its also worth noting that VirtualBox does not have this problem and is completely free.

0 Kudos
tinkeredthinker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off worked for me. Thanks!

0 Kudos
raul99tapara1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

confirm if your problem was resolved, currently I have an error

0 Kudos