VMware Communities
luhe7876
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Workstation does not support nested virtualization on this host.

I want to use nested virtualization, but VMware Workstation tells me it does not support nested virtualization on this host. I have closed hyper-v and memory integrity. However, Vmware Workstation still tell me does not support nested virtualization on this host. I need to use nested virtualization. How can I solve it? Thanks everyone who help me.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

If you still either or both lines in the vmware.log that means Hyper-V is still detected.

<timestamp> In(05) vmx IOPL_Init: Hyper-V detected by CPUID
<timestamp> In(05) vmx Monitor Mode: ULM

If Hyper-V is no longer detected on the host, the monitor mode will be CPL0 instead of ULM.

Follow the instructions in this KB https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2146361?lang=en_US
Most people miss the step followed by reboot: bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

Keep in mind there are many things that can cause Hyper-V to be enabled. If you enabled WSL2 or Virtual Machine Platform, it will also cause Hyper-V to be enabled.

If your host machine is a member of an AD domain, domain policy could also cause Hyper-V to be enabled (such as VBS via domain policy). In that case you need to talk to your domain admin.

0 Kudos
luhe7876
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot. I found the reason is that I use Windows 11, and Windows 11 turns on virtualization based security by default. After turn off it, my WMware Workstation works correctly.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos