VMware Communities
OLD201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Workstation and VMplayer license question

Hi All:

Can anyone help to answer this question.  Thank you in advance.

I have a valid license of VMware Workstation 9, can the VMware Workstation and the VMplayer separately install into two computers and use them in commercial environment?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The bundled VMware Player in VMware Workstation Installation is not separable from the VMware Workstation install nor is the VMware Workstation License.  If you want to run VMware Player by itself then you need to download the VMware Player Installer, which only installs VMware Player not VMware Workstation.  You may not split the VMware Workstation installed files between two systems.  Then if you want to use it commercially you need to purchase a VMware Fusion License! Smiley Wink

I hope now it's clear enough for you to grasp!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, the standalone VMware Player install when used for commercial use requires you purchase a VMware Fusion License.  Yes I know that VMware Fusion is for Mac's and VMware Player runs on Linux/Windows however someone at VMware came up with that manner of purchasing a license for commercial use of VMware Player! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
OLD201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry I did not make the question clear.  I meant not the standalone VMware player version.  The player I mentioned is as part of the VMware Workstation; which it appears after the VMware Workstation software installation.  Someone told me I can install copies of VMplayer into other computer(s) equal to the VMware Workstation license(s) have purchased and use in commercial environment, is it true?  Thank you for your advise again.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The bundled VMware Player in VMware Workstation Installation is not separable from the VMware Workstation install nor is the VMware Workstation License.  If you want to run VMware Player by itself then you need to download the VMware Player Installer, which only installs VMware Player not VMware Workstation.  You may not split the VMware Workstation installed files between two systems.  Then if you want to use it commercially you need to purchase a VMware Fusion License! Smiley Wink

I hope now it's clear enough for you to grasp!

0 Kudos
OLD201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your help, I understand now.Smiley Happy

0 Kudos