VMware Communities
grey666
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Workstation Setup Wizard ended prematurely because of an error.

So I tried to update to 15.5 and as some other already posted here: nothing happened after restart, just the same prompt to download update as before restart.

After retrying a couple times a day later, instead of not doing anything it just the old working VMware and now refuses to install ANY version of VMware with this:

POqWifN.png

Tried 10 times, as Administrator and normally it doesnt matter. still the same.

How can this be fixed?

Host is Windows 7 64bit with latest updates on which everything worked and updated fine before, I looked at log but its not understandable to me.

King regards,

Valerio

10 Replies
haiweiz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The installer log shows it have problem when install vmkdb driver, however, we can not reproduce this issue in lab.

Would you please check the current status of vmkbd driver by running this command in a console:

> sc query vmkbd3

if the result shows the vmkbd driver is running, you can stop it and do clean up by following steps:

Make sure the Workstation isn't installed from "Control Panel".

Open on elevated console, and run:

1. net stop vmkbd3

2. sc query vmkbd3, and make sure this driver is stopped.

3. WIN+R, input regedit.

4. Delete key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vmkbd3

5. Open Explorer, navigate to C:\Windows\System32\DrvStore, you can find a folder named vmkbd_XXXXX, delete it.

6. Reboot your system and try to install Workstation 15.5 again.

Anyway, would you mind upload your vminst.log here? so we can verify what happened in your previous installation.

Thanks.

grey666
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply,

doing "sc query vmkbd3" says:

"The specified service is not an installed service".

Checking installed programs in Control Panel doesn't show Workstation installed.

Deleted the registry key and the folder you said and rebooted, the error on install remains.

Uploaded vminst.log here: vminst.log

Wouldn't let me upload to the thread as it is 75 MB

0 Kudos
haiweiz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks grey666, looks like there have more issues in your case, could you please zip all the following files:

1. %temp%\vminst.log

2. %temp%\vmmsi*.log

3. c:\windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log

and upload to us?

If the upload failed by the size issue, you can try our public ftp site:

VMware ftp site:

FTP Server: ftpsite.vmware.com

User:   inbound

Pwd:    inbound

Port:   21

Please let me know the file name.

Thanks.

grey666
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for your reply,

I uploaded it but I got pretty confused somehow and ended up with 2 different vminst.log's one 70 something other over 500MB.

filename: 666logs.zip

0 Kudos
haiweiz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi, grey666:

From the log, the error shows the vmkbd driver installation always failed, would you mind try to remove the "Enhanced keyboard Driver" feature first, and try to install it again?

As the following picture, set the highlight checkbox unchecked.

0 Kudos
grey666
Contributor
Contributor

Hello and thank you so much for replying,

this is a bit worrying as in the many attempts I did, there was for sure several where I didn't tick the "Enhanced Keyboard Driver" box.

To be sure I removed the registry key and the folder you said to remove earlier again, restarted Windows, used sc query to verify that its not there, redownloaded the 15.5 installation .exe just in case and the error remains.

I will try again on a different machine soon but I'd really love to get it working on this one.

0 Kudos
haiweiz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

From the log, looks like the Installer always think the vmkbd components is installed and it try to uninstall previous version.

Did you ever install/uninstall/deleted any installed vmkbd service or driver? The Windows MSI database looks like interrupted.

Try the following steps:

1. Uninstall Workstation.

2. open a cmd console with administrator priviledge.

3. run this command:

C:\Users\bbb\Desktop\Downloads\VMware-workstation-full-15.5.0-14665864.exe -r

(I assume you downloaded the installer here)

4. After this command, you will be prompt to reboot the host.

5. Reboot the host and retry the installation.

k1r2
Contributor
Contributor

You man, are the real MVP!

0 Kudos
tonster76
Contributor
Contributor

Thankyou! Fixed my issues with the VMware Workstation Server service not running or installing post 15.2.2

0 Kudos
drint
Contributor
Contributor

this did not solve my issue,my vmware opens and closes immediately,  even as adminstrator i tried but stil no help please help me out

0 Kudos