VMware Communities
Levo59
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Workstation Pro network adapter settings

hello there, i am using VM workstation 15.x

i create a virtual adapter VMnet1 - host only to communicate with host computer. it looks 100mbps speed and it caused a bottleneck on vms communicating with host

does it possible to create a virtual nic with 1gbps or more on workstation pro? i can not find any setting on virtual network editor about it

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Virtual NICs do not really have a line speed, since processing is done by the host's physical CPU.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Virtual NICs do not really have a line speed, since processing is done by the host's physical CPU.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The only virtual adapter that has 100mbps nominal speed is the old "vlance" type.

All others are either 1000mbps or 10000mkbs.

But as already mentioned this does not mean that much - the real speed depends on the CPU.

So only scenario where you should change anything is if you really still use the "vlance" option.

0 Kudos