VMware Communities
kamiller42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Workstation Pro 16.x from 15.5.x worth it for Linux host?

The upgrade is currently on sale. Is the upgrade worth it?

The host is Ubuntu 20.04 based on an Intel i7-7700HQ hosting Windows XP, 7, 10 VMs.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Always a difficult question to answer as it depends on use cases.

A few possible reasons:
- With Workstation 16.x you can run on later Linux kernels without having to manually patch the kernel modules to get things running again every time there's a kernel update.
- The last major Workstation 16.x update (16.2.0) has introduced Vulkan renderer support. There's still some people bumping into issues, but I expect that to get better over time.

For the rest it is mostly the same as Workstation 16 on Windows I guess.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
kamiller42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your opinion. I went ahead & purchased it. I was a little concerned after reading "My VM is destroyed" posts.

I've been patching my 15 with kernel updates. 16 still needs a rebuild when the kernel updates, but it's little easier than downloading & applying a patching. I'm surprised the app didn't prompt to rebuild because of kernel change. I had to issue

sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

It worked, so not that big of a deal. And maybe 16 comes with some performance perks. I'll see how this goes. Good so far.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Glad to hear you like it so far.

Re. the "VM destroyed" post, there's always someone with a problem. People don't normally write a post here to say how much they like the new version 😄

FWIW VM's don't just get destroyed unless you take action for that. A possibility would be.. trying out an experimental feature without making a backup first.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos