VMware Communities
GustavoPF
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Workstation Player 15.1.0 - Accelerate 3D graphics bugged

Selecting Accelerate 3D graphics bugs the program. No matter what i do afterwards, an error pops up. Observation: This error wasn't happening on previous versions (15.0.2, 15.0.3, 15.0.4).

VMware Workstation Player 15.1.0 Accelerate 3D graphics bugged.png

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DodgeDeBoulet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This isn't happening in Workstation 15.1 (for me, at least), so it may be Player-specific.

0 Kudos
GustavoPF
Contributor
Contributor

I have just created a new post on the VMware Workstation Player discussion page because it's the write place of my post to be (I thought i was posting on the right discussion page.). Nevertheless, i guess people with the Pro version may experience the same problem than i.

0 Kudos
prefname
Contributor
Contributor

It's happening in workstation 15.1.0 on win7 sp1 x64. to repro:

1. go through the new vm wizard for a win10 iso
  2. at the end of the wizard click customize hardware
  3. go to the display section
  4. uncheck "display scaling"
  5. close
  6. you get the "unknown error" dialog
  7. now the customize hardware dialog can't be closed (checking "display scaling" does not help), you have to kill the process
0 Kudos
ofir102
Contributor
Contributor

I

I also have the same error (using PRO Trial version) I went back to version 15.0.0 and the problem was not repeated

I have attempted again to update to version 15.1.0 and re-issue problem is in the new version rather than on a specific computer

Need ignore from This Version 15.1.0 not good software version

0 Kudos
nokiahelp
Contributor
Contributor

[EDIT]

Hi, I have the same problem and here's what I tried:

- Deactivate Optimus technology in the BIOS, so that VMware runs completely on the NVIDIA GPU

- Various versions of video drivers (manufacturer, Windows Update, DriverBooster)

- Version 15.1.0 of VMware Workstation Player & Pro...

- ... on Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 (BIOS in legacy mode)

- ... on Windows 8.1 Pro x64 (BIOS in legacy and UEFI mode)

- ... on Windows 10 Enterprise 1607 LTSB x64 (BIOS in UEFI mode)

- ... on Windows 10 Pro 1809 x64 (BIOS in UEFI mode)

and none of these worked Smiley Sad

However there is a workaround: create a new VM without changing ANY option of the display tab, then edit this VM and the display option will not return the Unknown error.

NB: https://www.reddit.com/r/vmware/comments/bw8acv/unknown_error_always_happens_when_enable_3d/

0 Kudos
hahakiki2010
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We have noticed this issue inside. Thank you for reporting this bug

0 Kudos