VMware Communities
Umair011
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Workstation Installation question

When Vmware Workstation is installed,

a) How does it assign IP addresses to VMnet1 ans VMnet8? Does it assign them randomly?

b) When it assigns those IP addresses, does it check to see if they will conflict with the networks (Ip addresses?) already in use on current network?

c) If i want to change the IP addresses on VMnet1 and VMnet8 , what are the allowed values I can use?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

a) How does it assign IP addresses to VMnet1 ans VMnet8? Does it assign them randomly?

Yes.

b)  When it assigns those IP addresses, does it check to see if they will  conflict with the networks (Ip addresses?) already in use on current  network?

Interesting question. I would assume yes, but I don't know for sure.

c) If i want to change the IP addresses on VMnet1 and VMnet8 , what are the allowed values I can use?

Actually you could use IP ranges like you want. However, it is recommended to stay with the private 192.168.x.x Class C network.

André

0 Kudos
Umair011
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the answers and the welcome.

This clarify some of the things.

IS there any way to tell it not to use a certain IP range or address? I have looked at settings but i dont see much

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Assuming you are running VMware Workstation on Windows, you can use the "Virtual Network Editor" to modify the settings. I'm not aware of anything you can do during installation.

If you need to do this automated, take a look at http://sanbarrow.com/network/cmdguide2workstation.html

André

0 Kudos
Umair011
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I am running Vmware in windows Environment

The problem is that I have a PC on LAN which has VMware installed so it created Vmnet1 and Vmnet8 which i get.

The IP address on VMnet8 is conflicting with an IP address that is in use thats why I want to change it. (I believe I can change it to a different one like you said)

I believe vmware was installed on the PC before that ip address was not in use on the network  so i am thinking If i can clarify that it checks for the addresses in use and do not choose those IP addresses than i can just re-install VMware if i ever have this problem again. I was hoping someone could carify that. Otherwise I will change the IP address 

0 Kudos