VMware Communities
altjx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Workstation 7 - wireless network adapter -- no solution anywhere?

My german shepherd just chewed my network cable and prior to that, my VMs were able to connect to the internet with no problem. Now that I plug in the Wireless Network Adapter and get connected with my host, my VMs aren't connecting... There's just an X on the icon in the notification tray. Every few seconds or so it will try to re-establish a connection I'm guessing but it's going back to the red X.

What am I supposed to do? I read the VMware documentation on this and it just shows how to bridge the network. I've done that already. I haven't changed any settings from when it worked using a network cable.

I can switch the adapter to NAT and it works fine, but I want to bridge it.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Open the VMware "Virtual Network Editor" and select your wireless adapter in the "Bridged to:" drop down list.

André

0 Kudos
altjx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your quick reply.

I tried but then it just gets stuck at "Unidentified Network" and no internet access.

An /ipconfig results in:

C:\Users\Administrator>ipconfig
Windows IP Configuration
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
Tunnel adapter isatap.{B831B675-3A4E-4170-8A37-72BAD272CE06}:
   Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:
   Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Do you see the "VMware Bridge Protocol" in the properties of the Wireless network connection?

Assuming you run Windows 7, it may also be worth a try to temporarily disable the firewall to rule out any issues caused by this.

André

0 Kudos
altjx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sure do. Ok. I'm currently trying to reinstall the VMware tools and going to try that afterwards. I'll let you know what goes on.

0 Kudos
altjx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, reinstalling VMware tools didn't work and turning off both my Windows Firewall and Comodo Internet Security off. 😕

I've read so many forum posts about this and I don't think anyone has gotten this to work from what I've read... Is this a bug or something in VMware or what? I'm looking at my guest OS now and the network connection is just bouncing from Unidentified Network - No Internet Access to "You have not connected to any networks"... It's just going back and forth.

0 Kudos
altjx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Guess this is just going to be one of many unanswered threads about this product.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

First of all we need to find out whether the issue is related to the host or the guest (I guess it's the host, because NAT works). Therefore I'd suggest you boot the VM using a Live CD (e.g. Knoppix). Are you able to access the network using the Live CD?

André

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

André, don't forget that it could also be the Router in that with WiFi not all Routers will allow multiple IP Address to be assigned to the same MAC Address which is what happens when bridging over WiFi vs Ethernet as with the latter the Router sees the assigned MAC Address for the Virtual Network Adapter however with the former the Router see the Host WiFi MAC Address for both it and the Guest.  Some Routers can just handle it, like the one I have, and some are managed to be that way (not allowing it) and some just cannot handle it period.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Good point. This would actually make the most sense, since NAT is working.

André

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Yes that is why I mentioned it. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
altjx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ah, wow... That makes great sense dude. Thanks a lot. Looking at specifications on a router though, is there any information that would show it? Not sure if it's called something specifically like "Allows bridging over wifi" or another term. Just asking in case I decide to get another router soon.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

What manufacture, make, model and version number is your Router?

0 Kudos
altjx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

A pretty old Linksys WRT150N

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Is it version 1.0 or 1.1?

0 Kudos
altjx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Using firmware v1.1

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You can login to your Router and then on the Status Tab - Local Network click on the DHCP Clients Table button to view the DHCP Client Table and check out what is being assigned to what.

User Guide (English): WRT150N-v1.1_ug.pdf 3.1 MB

0 Kudos
altjx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah, I'm familiar with doing that. But how do I determine if my router supports wireless bridging?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

One way is with the Host's WiFi Network Adapter explicitly bridged to VMnet0 in the Virtual Network Editor and then if the Host's WiFi Network Adapter's MAC Address is being assigned two IP Addresses (when a WiFi  bridged VM is running) in the ARP/RARP Table.

I like to, with only the Host connected and a WiFi bridged VM running, clear the DHCP Clients Table, and then reboot the Router and then look at the ARP/RARP Table.  If it supports it there should be two entries having the same MAC Address with different IP Addresses.

Note:  I'd also temporarily disable/turn off any and all AntiVirus, Firewall and Security software on both the Host and the Guest while testing.  You can also disconnect the Router from whatever device is providing Internet Access while the AntiVirus, Firewall and Security software is temporarily disabled/turned off to maintain security.

Note: Changed "DHCP Clients Table" to "ARP/RARP Table" and correcte other incomplete statement.

Sorry for any confusion.  To recap...

The Host and the Guest should get their own IP Address for each respective MAC Address in the DHCP Clients Table however in the ARP/RARP Table

there should be two entries having the same MAC Address with different IP Addresses.

Message was edited by: WoodyZ

0 Kudos
altjx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the response Woody,

I don't think it supports two at all. The reason I say that is because putting VMware on my laptop and trying to run a VM, it doesn't work either. I'm pretty sure it's a router thing now. Is there any work around? I tried editing the DHCP settings in the Virtual Network Editor and somehow I was still able to get a 192.168.1.x IP just like my hosts and the same default gateway. The guest and the hosts were able to ping the same 192.168.1.1 gateway but they weren't able to talk to each other... Hmm

I'd just like to be able to have the guest talking to the rest of the network now over wireless.

0 Kudos