VMware Communities
Noel
Expert
Expert

VMware Workstation 7.1 patch for linux kernel 2.6.35 (e.g., Ubuntu 10.10 aka Maverick Meerkat)

Attached is the patch for VMware Workstation 7.1.0 build-261024 to run on the 2.6.35 linux kernel.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! If it reformats your drive, steals your identity, corrupts your children, or eats your homework, that's your problem.

Two changes:

iommu_map_range --> iommu_map, q.v., http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/git-commits-head/2010/5/18/33306

fix sk_sleep references, similar to http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=322245

0 Kudos
35 Replies
martyfelker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Noel!

The patches for kernel 2.6.35 work with a few exceptions( I can't reproduce at the moment but I don't use that kernel anymrore) but I need a new shell script to apply the patch for kernel 2.6.36 - which I am running on all mny Linux OS's (Ubuntu 101.10, Fedor a 14 Rawhide, and openSUSE 11`.4 Milestone 4). I tried to modify the shell scripfthe 2.3.35 kernel relplacing the reference from 2.6.35 to 2.6.36 and applying your patch for 2.6.3 but I also get an error that vmondoes not compile.

Marty Felker

Marty Felker
0 Kudos
Noel
Expert
Expert

tried your steps but i get the following.

lxtest@lxtest-desktop:~$ sudo sh patch-modules.sh

password for lxtest:

patch-modules.sh: 7: patch: not found

Well, right there we can stop. "patch: not found" means that nothing is going to work.

what am i doing wrong?

See above.

0 Kudos
Noel
Expert
Expert

I need a new shell script to apply the patch for kernel 2.6.36

The only difference between the script for one patch and another is the name of the patch file:

-patch -p0 < vmware-7.1-2.6.35-3-generic.patch
+patch -p0 < vmware-7.1-2.6.36-generic.patch

In the other thread, the one on 2.6.36, let me know specifically what compile problem(s) you're having. It works for me with 2.6.36-020636rc7-generic and at least three previous 2.6.36 kernels.

0 Kudos
martyfelker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Noel:

This works with Ubuntu Maverick using kernel 2.6.36rc6. I will

next try Fedor a14 Rawhide and oopenSuSE 11.4 M2 and expect it to

work as well. In still can't seem to get rc7 installed but I might as

well as the blessed release of 2.6.36 .

Marty

PS It is kinda odd that on SUSE the license has to be accepted first

before installing and its a text file you have to scroll down. If you

miss the accept questionb you have to scroll down again (slowly).

Marty Felker
0 Kudos
martyfelker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Noel!

Patch for kernel 2.6.36 rc7 works on Fedora 14 Rawhid. Of course

it shelps to installl gcc and patch .

Marty

Marty Felker
0 Kudos
FSpatz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

The patch works fine with Workstation 7.1.2 and Ubuntu 10.10 nevertheless my system frequently freezes after powering down the guest.

Workstation freezes at black screen after guest shutdown

Console messages: Vmware-vmx blocked for more than 120 seconds

Does anyone encounter the same issue and does anyone know a solution for this?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
martyfelker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I may have posted this oon another thread about the platch but the patch reviseed for kernel l2.6.36 now works perfectly on Kubuntu 101.10 and Fedora 14 Rawhide. Also when a kernel with the same numbaer .2.6.36 is upgraded to a later rc Vmware asks to reocmpile the modules and it still works without a hitch. Thanks to everybody involved!!

Marty Felker

Marty Felker
0 Kudos
Wasesorescom
Contributor
Contributor

This solution works for me fine now. Workstation 7.1.2 and Ubuntu 10.10 64 bits.

Thanks.

Wasesores

0 Kudos
matthewls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The patch worked here for 7.1.2, 2.6.36 ubuntu 10.10. But I had to remove and re-install vwmware workstation or the patch threw errors.

Thanks again.

ms

0 Kudos
goofythekiller
Contributor
Contributor

The new patch for version 2.6.36 does not work. It says the modules were already patched.

0 Kudos
martyfelker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

See the psot jsut before yours. Uninstall Workstation and then reapply patch. Or you can contnue with the patch script and when it asks if you want to apply patch anyway - even when its installed - just anser yes.

Marty Felker

Marty Felker
0 Kudos
goofythekiller
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I noticed. What a pain in the butt.

0 Kudos
goofythekiller
Contributor
Contributor

OK, it works perfectly. I uninstalled vmware, but simply running "vmware-installer -u vmware-workstation" did not do the trick. I had to manually delete the vmware folder at /usr/lib/vmware/modules.

Thanks for your help guys.

0 Kudos
pdinoto
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot, Noel.

It works fine on a 10.10 install (spanish, on a x86_64 dell studio)!

Best regards,

///Pablo

0 Kudos
EtienneG
Contributor
Contributor

According to VMWare KB article 1030365, this have been fixed in VMWare Workstation 7.1.3.

0 Kudos
RalphWSiegler
Contributor
Contributor

This actually works with vmware workstation 7.0.1 also, on my Ubuntu 10.04 amd-64 but with 2.6.35-25-generic kernel I manually apt-get'd to solve hard disk driver issue

Thanks very muc!

0 Kudos