VMware Communities
jackzh
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Workstation 7.0 no sound on windows XP host

Hi all,

I installed VMware Workstation 7.0 on a Windows XP SP3 host with a guest OS Ubuntu 9.04. At first the sound worked very well, I could hear everything playing in the guest Ubuntu. But since I created a team and added the old gust OS and its clone to the team, the sound has gone away...

Now when I play something in the guest Ubuntu, I can see the green lights on corner of the sound icon is on but I cannot hear anything. Only occasionally, when Ubuntu is booted up, I can hear some noise.

Another thing is that the system beep from Ubuntu is nice and loud, even when I mute the sound in Ubuntu...

Anyone has any idea?

Thanks a lot.

Jack

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
kingneutron
Expert
Expert

--Try making sure the other VMs in the Team don't have Sound connected ( it's a removable device. )

./. If you have appreciated my response, please remember to apply Helpful/Correct points. TIA

./. If you have appreciated my response, please remember to apply Helpful/Correct points. TIA
jackzh
Contributor
Contributor

Hi kingneutron,

Thanks for your reply.

I think I have figured out the reason why I don't get sound from the guest OSs. It's actually a bit stupid... I tried to turn the volume up a lot (from about 1/4 to almost the highest) and it worked. In my normal Ubuntu system, if I do this, the sound would be extremely loud. In those guest ones, however, it is just about the right volume.

And I tried with the sound devices of all the guest OSs in the team connected. Again, it worked well and no problem happens so far. So I guess multiple connected sound devices in a team is fine.

Now the only problem is the system beep volume... Do you have any idea about how to turn it down without totally muting it in the configuration files?

Thanks a lot!

Jack

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

AFAIK the beep is either on or off.

Since WS 6.5 you can only disable this host wide for all VMs.

Add

mks.noBeep = "TRUE"

to your config.ini to disable the beep for all VMs

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos