VMware Communities
GBTurpin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Workstation 6.5.3 networking issues with Windows 7?

Ok,

I've got VMware workstation 6.5.3, and I'm running a clean install of Windows 7 x64 Enterprise.

No matter what I try, VMware Workstation will NOT bridge to give access to my VM's.

Frankly, it seems like the typical screwed up network setup for VMware Workstation 6+, but I've no idea why this is not working...

I've manually told it what NIC to use for VNet 0 (bridging) and I've even let it do it automatically.

Does anyone have any interesting setup informaiton / special they needed to do in order to get VMs to bridge onto the same network as the host?

Thanks,

GB

0 Kudos
2 Replies
omnicc
Contributor
Contributor

GB,

Try logging in using NAT and then switching to bridged. I found that worked with both 6.5.3 and with 7.0. I was going to post a similar post. I didn't have this problem on Vista 64 but with Windows 64 Ultimate I must login using NAT and then switch to bridged. With NAT I'm not able to contact any other machine in my network or the internet once I'm logged in, however switching to bridged after I'm logged in takes care of the issue and I have full contact with both my internal network and the internet. It's a pita but it does work for me

Best Regards

Michael Gould

0 Kudos
mdford
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I installed a Windows 7 guest on 6.5.3 just fine with no special setup needed. You might check the .vmx file to see if you're using the e1000 virtual NIC. Also, awhile back I had a problem with bridged networking on one of my machines. I had some program running (a virus scanner maybe? I forget) that prevented the host NIC from entering "promiscuous mode" which is required when using bridged networking.

Good luck!

0 Kudos