VMware Communities
ImportantWindow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Workstation 17 Pro supports use of host GPU?

I checked the compatibility guide on VMware's support pages, it does not list workstation as a supporter of host physical GPU usage in windows 10 VMs, so I take it does not support? "Shared pass thru graphics" does not list any version of workstation, others too. So how does that acceleratres 3d (such as gaming in VM) without host support? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

GPU Passthrough means that the guest OS gets direct access to the graphics adapter.

In that case the guest OS directly controls the GPU and you need another GPU for the host OS.

VMware Workstation does not support GPU passthrough.

With 3D acceleration the guest OS gets access to a virtual GPU that understands GPU specific features such as DirectX. The VM driver+virtual hardware translates the 3D accelaration commands that it receives and executes those on the GPU hardware. Since VMware Workstation 15.5 it uses a special sandboxed process for that.

A relevant blog post is here:
https://blogs.vmware.com/workstation/2020/05/directx-11-now-with-workstation-tp20h2.html

Note that this was about a beta which is now part of VMware Workstation 16.x (as well as 15.5.x)

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

8 Replies
ImportantWindow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

UPDATE: After enabling 3d accelerate under graphics in VMs settings panel, windows 10 VM started a process called "mksSandbox" and that is uses a bit of my host GPU at background, sandbox sounds nice since I do NOT want my vm directly access to my host GPU, is that what I think it is?

0 Kudos
ImportantWindow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm complete beginner in this topic so forgive me if this sounds dumb, 

3D accelerate and gpu pass thru is same thing?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

GPU Passthrough means that the guest OS gets direct access to the graphics adapter.

In that case the guest OS directly controls the GPU and you need another GPU for the host OS.

VMware Workstation does not support GPU passthrough.

With 3D acceleration the guest OS gets access to a virtual GPU that understands GPU specific features such as DirectX. The VM driver+virtual hardware translates the 3D accelaration commands that it receives and executes those on the GPU hardware. Since VMware Workstation 15.5 it uses a special sandboxed process for that.

A relevant blog post is here:
https://blogs.vmware.com/workstation/2020/05/directx-11-now-with-workstation-tp20h2.html

Note that this was about a beta which is now part of VMware Workstation 16.x (as well as 15.5.x)

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
ImportantWindow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you so much,

0 Kudos
Carl_Baran
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No, There is no Host GPU Support while Running Virtual Machines, It should use Guest GPU: VMware SVGA 3DWindows 7 x64 (2)-2021-09-21-16-32-49.png

VMware SVGA 3D in Windows 7 x64

0 Kudos
Carl_Baran
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, no Host Support for Virtual Machines Only Guest's GPU: VMware SVGA 3DVMware SVGA 3D in Windows 7VMware SVGA 3D in Windows 7

0 Kudos
Egemen67
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If I use 2 video cards, can I use one for Vmware only? And can I split GPU Vram into Virtual machines?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

That's a "No" on both questions.

--
Wil

0 Kudos