VMware Communities
calebtree
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Workstation 17 Pro Upgrade Challenges

When I attempted to upgrade VMWare Workstation Pro 15 to 17, I ran into all kinds of software failures mostly related to host network devices. I first noticed host to guest networking was not working. Then I noticed the VMWare Network Adapters were not even installed. Then I noticed in device manager network devices with yellow exclamation marks including "Hyper-v virtual switch", and the VMWare 1 and 8 devices. The errors on each were as follows: Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device. (Code 56)

After attempting to reinstall the network devices then attempting to "reset the network" via the Windows settings; even the primary host network device ended up failing to install indicating the same error as above. I ended up using a system restore point which luckily brought back network functionality. This time I uninstalled VMWare Workstation Pro 15 before installing 17 and this time the install was successful. However, this error (attached) popped up during the network devices installation and also subsequent repair installs even after doing the best I could to repair any C++ Runtime libraries I see in Windows "Programs and Features".

---------------------------
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Assertion failed!

Program: ...m Files\Intel\Wired Networking\NCS2\Agent\Rule.DLL
File: C:\Sandbox\910141\Middleware\Rule\Src\NCSRuleReader.cpp
Line: 76

Expression: 0 != pTreeFile

For information on how your program can cause an assertion
failure, see the Visual C++ documentation on asserts

(Press Retry to debug the application - JIT must be enabled)
Abort   Retry   Ignore   

0 Kudos
2 Replies
calebtree
Contributor
Contributor

Apparently, after reinstalling the network driver (Intel Ethernet) provided by the mainboard manufacturer the "C++ Assertion failed!" error mitigated.

Still not sure what happened, or if, the VMWare 17 upgrade corrupted the network drivers.

0 Kudos
sth-peter
Contributor
Contributor

I recently upgraded and had network adapter issues as I noticed it now displays Network 2 after upgrading. The other issue now after it being more than a month since upgrading is Windows activation issues. 

I returned from holidays to an error on one of my Windows VMs asking me to activate Windows. On the activation status in settings it shows that Windows reported that the hardware of your device has changed. I thought only major hardware changes (motherboards, etc) caused hardware licensing issues.

Anyone else experience this? I can't use the original product key used when creating the VM as it was a Windows 7 install upgraded to Windows 10 when it was free.

0 Kudos