VMware Communities
nathanniu
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Workstation 17 Crashed when edit a vm settings

After upgrade to 17.0 from 16, When try to edit a vm setting, VMware Workstation 17 crashed everytime.

Please see the attatchments.

7 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for reporting this.  We are aware of this particular VMware Workstation application crash (Exception 0xc0000094 while editing VM settings) and we are working on a fix to go into a future patch release.  In the meantime, downgrade the virtual machine's compatibility to Workstation 16.2.x and it should then be possible to edit the virtual machine settings again.

justajeffy
Contributor
Contributor

DOWNGRADE to 16 ? That's seriously the current solution to this problem!??

0 Kudos
justajeffy
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi justajeffy,

To be clear: You do not need to downgrade the VMware Workstation program.

All that is required is to downgrade the compatibility level for your virtual machine – which can be done entirely within Workstation 17 by following the instructions I linked earlier, without needing to go into the VM settings page – and then your VM will work correctly in Workstation 17.

0 Kudos
Ilgaz
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

On  Workstation 17 "player", when the VM isn't running, the manage VM option is grayed out.

Ilgaz_0-1672119436183.png

0 Kudos
tymchenko
Contributor
Contributor

You can try to open vm using VMWare player and downgrade.

0 Kudos
MikeMcC399
Contributor
Contributor

I updated to VMware Workstation 17 Pro 17.0.1 and the problem no longer occurs.

BTW: When 17.0.1 was offered for update, I clicked on Learn more and was taken to an inaccessible link for a beta version instead of an accessible link for the released patch version.

0 Kudos