VMware Communities
Jasot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Workstation 17.0 Pro - Ubuntu VM Slow

Good Afternoon.

After scraping through several other posts relating to the similar issues I am experience, I will keep this brief. I've implemented one of the solutions (powercfg /powerthrottling disable /path "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\x64\vmware-vmx.exe") which has fixed half of the issues such as booting/shutting down and application start up. However I still have 2 noteworthy issues: severe latency/input delay with using something basic as a terminal or typing this post and trying to drag & drop files from my host machine onto/into my VMs desktop and desktop directory with no results other than an odd "shadow" of the file that can be visually seen on the desktop GUI but not seen in the file directory or terminal (yet it can be dragged and dropped into any other directory I've tried so far and it is successful). Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Host Specs:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Home
Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621
System Lenovo Thinkpad Pv15 Gen 3
Processor 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12800H, 2400 Mhz, 14 Core(s), 20 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 63.7 GB
Available Physical Memory 46.7 GB
Total Virtual Memory 67.7 GB
Available Virtual Memory 55.1 GB
Storage 3.72 TB

VM Specs:
Hardware Comaptibility Workstation 17.x
VMware tools Installed
OS Ubuntu 22.04.1
Memory 16 GB
Number of processors 2
Number of cores per processor 6
Total Processor cores 12
Hard Disk (SATA) 100 GB (Preallocated)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jasot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Figured out the solution to my problem and I hope this helps someone else in the future.

Problem 1: Booting/Shutting down VM, starting/running applications, and viewing content such as image files on a browser showed significant performance issues, even when providing more than adequate resources to the VM.

Solution: Run PS Command: powercfg /powerthrottling disable /path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware.exe'

Problem 2: Severe latency/input delay when doing anything basic such as dragging cursor or typing in a terminal. Also was unable to drag and drop files directly onto/into the Desktop and Desktop directory from host machine.

Solution: Disable VBS. Verify whether it is enabled or disabled by viewing sysinfo; Virtualization-based-security. If it is running, this may be your cause. There are several ways to disable it, here is the way that worked for me. Run cmd line command as Admin: bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

Note 1: You may have to do anywhere from 1 method to several to turn off your VBS. If the command provided did not work, simply google (in my case since I have a Windows 11) "How to disable VBS on Windows 11". You will get several methods to be able to do so.
Note 2: I am still unable to drag/drop files onto the Desktop however I am able to drop it into the file directory. Still a slight problem but at the very least, acceptable.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Something with VMware and Hyper-V integration seems to be at the root of this issue.

You may want to search the forum for advice on workarounds for poor performance on 12th Gen Intel Core (Alder Lake, etc) CPUs. The advice ranges from modifying the power settings to turning off Hyper-V to return to using the VMware hypervisor.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
Jasot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Figured out the solution to my problem and I hope this helps someone else in the future.

Problem 1: Booting/Shutting down VM, starting/running applications, and viewing content such as image files on a browser showed significant performance issues, even when providing more than adequate resources to the VM.

Solution: Run PS Command: powercfg /powerthrottling disable /path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware.exe'

Problem 2: Severe latency/input delay when doing anything basic such as dragging cursor or typing in a terminal. Also was unable to drag and drop files directly onto/into the Desktop and Desktop directory from host machine.

Solution: Disable VBS. Verify whether it is enabled or disabled by viewing sysinfo; Virtualization-based-security. If it is running, this may be your cause. There are several ways to disable it, here is the way that worked for me. Run cmd line command as Admin: bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

Note 1: You may have to do anywhere from 1 method to several to turn off your VBS. If the command provided did not work, simply google (in my case since I have a Windows 11) "How to disable VBS on Windows 11". You will get several methods to be able to do so.
Note 2: I am still unable to drag/drop files onto the Desktop however I am able to drop it into the file directory. Still a slight problem but at the very least, acceptable.

SBCactus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This helped me!
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 10.0.22621 Build 22621
VMware Workstation 17.0.2 build-21581411

thanks to @Jasot and @Technogeezer -> the other threads on poor intel performance also contain some tweaks for the .vmx files that could potentially help others. linking in case any one else wants to dig in:

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/VMware-Workstation-16-very-slow-on-Windows-...
https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/Poor-support-for-Intel-12th-gen-processors/...

0 Kudos