VMware Communities
Arcanan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware Workstation 16.2.1 with Nonpersistent HDD - all data lost after guest restart!

In latest VMware Workstation 16.2.1 (started with version 16.2.0) is a big bug,

after I installed some programs in VM a do restart all newly installed programs and data are lost. It never happend in previous WS 16.x.

OS host: Windows 10 Pro 21H1

OS guest: Windows 10 Pro 21H1 with Hardisk (C:\) set to nonpersistent

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Photubias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

This bug also NOT present in the newest VMware Workstation 17.0.0.

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
34 Replies
Arcanan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As I use this a lot. Seems like go back to previous version... for now is the only solution!

0 Kudos
Arcanan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Problem of data losing when PC is restarted remains after update to version VMware WS Pro 16.2.1 when HDD/SSD is set to Nonpersistent😫

PLEASE MAKE IT CONFIGURABLE IN SETTINGS! 

Something like this:

[x] Discard changes in VM guest at restart when disk is set to Nonpersistent

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
strappato
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No parameter is needed, the documentation foresees that the changes to the Nonpersistent disk at restart are preserved:

“Changes to disks in nonpersistent mode are discarded when you power off or reset the virtual machine. With nonpersistent mode, you always restart the virtual machine with a virtual disk in the same state. Changes to the disk are written to and read from a redo log file that is deleted when you power off or reset the virtual machine.”

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Pro/16.0/com.vmware.ws.using.doc/GUID-FB6F0D1B-6517-4F...

I think it's a big bug that persists since from V16.2.0 and hasn't been fixed in V16.2.1 either!

0 Kudos
Photubias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

+1 same bug here, really a problem when trying to install software that needs a reboot

Win 10 Enterprise 21H1 19043.1348
Guest OS does not matter (tested with Windows & Debian Guest OS'es)
VMware Workstation 16.2.1 build-18811642

0 Kudos
Arcanan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In past I used quite a lot - Snapshot Manager Ctrl+M.

Now I am "forced" start using it again. Will see...

0 Kudos
Photubias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware Workstation 16.2.2 build-19200509 has been released, for Windows only.

This Nonpersistent problem is still not fixed.

0 Kudos
Arcanan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It seem they changed interpretation of HDD/SSD read only mode. That's bad for us...

0 Kudos
Photubias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware Workstation 16.2.3 build-19376536 has been released.

This Nonpersistent problem is not fixed.

0 Kudos
strappato
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No updates on this thread for this bug?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Has anyone logged this as a support matter with VMware?

Remember that the Communities are for users to help other users, not an official "channel" into any support function at VMware.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Same bug exists on Linux WS 16.2.3

Non persistent creates a named redo-log but destroys it at power off or reboot.
Please fix this - it is an essential feature.

Right now the UI promises a feature but then does not deliver and acts in a way that is not predictable to the users.

Ulli

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have a look at
https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/Possible-workaround-for-the-nonpersistance-...

Setting the VMDKs to RDONLY maybe useful for some users ....
Ulli

0 Kudos
ChrisKS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello @scott28tt,

notbody has logged this as a support request with VMware yet.

I am currently evaluating VMware Workstation for our company and also affected by this bug. Since nonpersistent HDD is a very important feature for us - one of the key reasons to buy VMware Workstation - we need to get this bug fixed before we can buy licences.

Opening a bug report is only possible with a valid support contract. Since we are in the evaluation process, we don't have a support contract yet and are not able to report this bug to VMware. I really don't understand why you have to pay for a support contract to report bugs...

So can you submit this bug to VMware support, please? Thanks!

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@ChrisKS 

I'm not on here to log faults/bugs on behalf of others, I don't have any special avenue into the support teams.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ChrisKS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Employee of the year: @scott28tt 👎

Can someone with support contract please log this bug to VMware support? This forum is not monitored by VMware support and so the bug will not fixed until someone logs this to the support team.

wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hey ChrisKS,

Scott is just trying to helping out - in HIS spare time - and personal attacks are NOT appreciated on this forum.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
Jann1s
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

As a VMware employee, it should be in your interest that bugs in your products are fixed and that the customers - who also pay your salary - are satisfied.
You could have at least given Chris a way to report bugs without having a support contract.
You have no internal ways to make the support team aware of this thread? Relly? Are you kidding?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hey @Mikero can you please have someone look into this, make sure it gets logged?

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva