VMware Communities
WhyItsLikeThis
Contributor
Contributor

VMware® Workstation 15 Pro doesn't take user keyboard input if I go back-and-forth between host OS (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS) and guest OS (Kali Linux). What to do?!

I am trying to learn ethical hacking during this lockdown. The video series often need me to play with Kali Linux since its one of the most common distribution for pen-testing. But sadly VMware has not been a very helpful/reliable experience. Because 3 out of 5 times, I either have to wait for VMware to recognize that I am on it so that I can use Keyboard OR sometimes it gets even worse, no matter what I do, I cannot type at all. Yes, I can move my mouse freely, copy-paste each word/letters but that's it. No user input. Pressing letters on host OS will click some option as if I am using the mouse or it will write tetter like this  ^[s if I press s, ^[d if I press d and so on. This is very disturbing. I dunno what to do. If there something I need to do in order to make this work, please let me know.

Note:

1. This doesn't happen if I use VM only. But if I go back-and-forth between host OS application and guest OS application, we will see the problem.

2. VM which I have installed is the latest stable and Kali Linux is also the latest version.

2 screenshot with 2 situations:

1st screenshot: VM is working fine when using host Os and guest os back-and-forth.

2nd screenshot: VM is not recognized user keyboard input as I have mentioned in the post.

VMware Workstation 15.5.6 build-16341506

Update:

A reverse scenario I reported here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/telegram-desktop/+bug/1891976
What happened here?
Ans: In short, I am/was not able to use an app named Telegram which is installed in host OS due to VMware hijacking my mouse and keyboard.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Please do not start new threads on the same issue.

The second thread you created today has been archived.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
WhyItsLikeThis
Contributor
Contributor

I get at least a link to that post. That would a great way to solve the problem form your side.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There's no way to do that with an archived post, please keep this thread updated with further info or questions on your issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
WhyItsLikeThis
Contributor
Contributor

And the new problem I post wasn't 100% equal.

This post is more about VMware's guest OS not reviewing user inputs.

And my second post was about VMware killing the user interface of host OS application's normal behavior.

I wonder what kind of sandboxing VMware use/have. I wonder if VMware even uses sandboxing or not. But this is NOT good.

Anyway, if u are the developer stating both problems are the same, then u 'might' be right.

0 Kudos