VMware Communities
bundyboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Workstation 15 Player - can guest OS detect FireWire camera ?

Hello,

I have win 10 installed, and i have VMware Workstation 15 Player installed, where Windows XP is installed as guest OS.

When I run Windows XP on VMware, will it detect FireWire camera connected to pc, after I install driver on xp for it ?

I only need Windows xp for the camera, nothing else. As the camera driver is not working on newer OS.

It is Olympus DP25 for microscope.

I hope you can help me

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Sorry to give you bad news, but FireWire interfaces can not be passed through to the guest OS.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Sorry to give you bad news, but FireWire interfaces can not be passed through to the guest OS.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
bundyboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok. i am devastated Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
bundyboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I was searching a little more, and found this: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/55917-onboard-firewire-1394-passthrough/

this man succeeded, i just don't understand what he did exactly, if you can explain it to me ?

Thanks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

That person is using KVM, which is not VMware Smiley Wink

KVM is the virtualisation feature that is part of the Linux kernel, so you have to run Linux, then enable the parts to use KVM.

The other part is that they are passing it through via the PCIe interface.

As you cannot pass through any PCIe device with VMware Workstation (or Player) this won't work here.

VMware vSphere is able to do PCIe passthrough, but I'm unsure if it would be able to passthrough FireWire, besides vSphere is server technology, not really suitable for your desktop or laptop.

--

Wil

0 Kudos