VMware Communities
zenivox
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VMware Workstation 15.5.2 does not compile

Hello, I' ve read all the other threads about this issue and I am aware that Fedora 31 is not supported by VMware Worstation 15.5. Kernel is 5.5.16-200.fc31.x86_64 and no other kernel installed. Environment is clean as OS was installed yesterday. I get the usual error

pastedImage_0.png

however headers are installed as well as the dev utilities. I've already tried the  GitHub - mkubecek/vmware-host-modules at workstation-15.5.2  but no joy. When I run make I get:

@localhost vmmon-only]$ make

Using standalone build system.

In file included from ./autoconf/geninclude.c:20:

./include/compat_autoconf.h:38:13: fatal error: generated/autoconf.h: No such file or directory

38 | #   include <generated/autoconf.h>

|             ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

compilation terminated.

In file included from .././autoconf/geninclude.c:20:

.././include/compat_autoconf.h:38:13: fatal error: generated/autoconf.h: No such file or directory

38 | #   include <generated/autoconf.h>

|             ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

compilation terminated.

Dependencies for vmx86.c

In file included from .././common/vmx86.c:28:

.././include/driver-config.h:43:5: error: #error "No Module support in this kernel.  Please configure with CONFIG_MODULES"

43 | #   error "No Module support in this kernel.  Please configure with CONFIG_MODULES"

It is evident that the files location has changed, however the Kubecek's fix has worked for many users in my situation. Has anybody run into my situation and fixed it in a different way? Many thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
zenivox
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Quick update:

kernel-5.5.15-200.fc31.x86_64

kernel-5.5.16-200.fc31.x86_64

kernels above (with full kernel environment) don't work even with version 15.5.2

Just installed kernel-5.5.17-200.fc31.x86_64 with full environment and it worked.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
zenivox
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

the only solution to this is that someone skilled writes a little piece of code to address the problem. So if anybody in my situation ONLY wants VMware workstation up and running that is the way. Else if somebody just want a virtualization app to allow other OSs to run virtually I found that Fedora comes with Boxes. I just downloaded the CentOS iso and have had it virtualized in few minutes.. it's a good and acceptable workaround...

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

A future release of Workstation will no doubt add support for Fedora 31 as a host OS (and Windows 10 1909, and others)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
mkubecek
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

No, there is no point waiting for a new release, 15.5.2 host modules built against any kernel up to 5.7-rc1 or even current mainline (with a lot of warnings but without an error). The error you see is almost certainly caused by problems with your build environment, most likely missing kernel devel package(s). It's something you need to fix on your side and not Workstation upgrade or other patching of module sources is going to help.

0 Kudos
zenivox
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I can assure you that the kernel environment is fully setup. I have also tried a newer kernel with all its environment and remove and reinstalled VMware Workstation... nothing.. no joy

0 Kudos
mkubecek
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Well, that's up to you. Modules from 15.5.2 build against kernels up to 5.7-rc2 without any additional patches and the error message you have shown clearly indicates problem on your side. But if you prefer to repeat "no joy" and wait for a new version and hope, it's your choice.

0 Kudos
zenivox
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

mkubecek don't assume what people do or don't do behind the screens... piece of advice.

0 Kudos
zenivox
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Quick update:

kernel-5.5.15-200.fc31.x86_64

kernel-5.5.16-200.fc31.x86_64

kernels above (with full kernel environment) don't work even with version 15.5.2

Just installed kernel-5.5.17-200.fc31.x86_64 with full environment and it worked.

0 Kudos
mkubecek
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I just tried to help. In vain, apparently, but that's not my problem.

0 Kudos