VMware Communities
SufficientSword
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Workstation 15.1 mouse issue with RDP and Windows 10 1903 host

I have a computer that I RDP into that runs the latest version of VMware Workstation (15.1). I just upgraded it from Windows 10 1809 to Windows 10 1903.

There is a defect where anytime the mouse changes inside a VM (like from a pointer to a hand) the mouse jumps slightly, making it very annoying to actually do anything in the VM with a mouse. The guest OS can be anything, Windows OR Linux. I'm also running the latest VMware tools in the guest.

This problem only occurs if the host is running Windows 10 1903 AND you are RDPing into that host. This is guest agnostic.

When I reverted the host back to 1809 the problem went away. The mouse jumping problem seems to be associated with a Windows 10 1903 host running VMware Workstation.

I'm not sure where to report this bug. I tried to buy a support contract for VMware Workstation but you can't buy one if you only hold one license.

Is there a place where I can report this bug? Does anyone have a workaround for it?

58 Replies
NoelC1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hate to say it but this issue isn't limited to VMware guest machines into which you might RDP.  It happens when the remote system is a v1903 hardware system too.

I regularly RDP from a multi-monitor hardware system running Win 8.1 into a remote multi-monitor hardware system running Win 10 and use it for hours,

• When the remote hardware system was running Win 10 v1809 it worked perfectly.  "Like being there".
  • When I moved the remote hardware system to (a fresh, clean install) Win 10 v1903 the problem showed up.

The problem gets MUCH WORSE if I try to use a VM on the remote hardware system.  I don't mean RDPing directly into the VM, but use the VM on the desktop on the machine I'm RDPing into.  The interaction is maddening, with the cursor jumping around all over the place.

The problem also gets much worse if I start a screen-grabbing tool (ffmpeg) on the remote system to capture a video of what I'm doing.

It used to be that only the originating system controlled where the mouse pointer would be.  Now both both the originating system and the remote system try to control it.

I suggest, as one prior poster mentioned, that the problem is with Microsoft's current implementation of RDP, specifically the server component.

-Noel

sonic9
Contributor
Contributor

since v356 from my laptop to remote, my mouse issue doesn't occur.

tested with workstation 15.1 and vm guest win10 & Ubuntu.

before v356 on my laptop, the problem was here, then i was using xfreerdp client because it was not possible to work on VM runns from VmWare Workstation.

upgraded to 15.5 version, it continue to works as expected

but i don't remember if i was touched another setting. i'll try to install an old 1903 on my laptop just to test !

edit: correction some words , sorry my poor english

0 Kudos
cmbritton
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm, as crematory noted, the problem still exists in 15.5.

0 Kudos
sonic9
Contributor
Contributor

I've installed a fresh 18362.1 (1903, with no updates) on my laptop, then I rdp to my remote 1903 , no mouse problems on my Vmware Workstation's VM !

So the problem isn't of the client side.

Somewhat has changed on my remote system during last month, but I do not know yet.

0 Kudos
crematory
Contributor
Contributor

It seems a microsoft issue with VMware rather a vmaware issue alone, unless vmware comes out and sheds light on this, since 1903 microsoft has been issuing patches for RDP trying to mitigate RDP vulnerabilities.

Edit: Today I discovered that CentOS 6 guest mouse works OK, while CentOS 7 and Windows 10 guests have the bad mouse in VMware WS 15.5 ..

0 Kudos
huangchao
Contributor
Contributor

I found that when I use the APP version of "Microsoft Remote Desktop", the mouse works OK.

0 Kudos
NoelC1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Personally I suspect Microsoft changed the protocol slightly in a way it would make it irritating to use from an older system - as an incentive to get those of us using older OS versions to upgrade.  They'll never admit it, they'll never document it, and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

-Noel

0 Kudos
crematory
Contributor
Contributor

man we are talking about Windows 10 1903 with latest updates connecting thru RDP to a similar machine that has VMWare workstation 15.5 insalled on it, which has both windows 10 and centos 7 guests. The mouse moves in a strange way inside the windows 10 and centos guests. The irritating thing is that this doesn't happen on freerdp, and also doesn't occur on virtualbox which makes you think what the hell is going on...

0 Kudos
sonic9
Contributor
Contributor

Just tested with a new VM CentOS 7, no mouse issue (Win1903 Last update on Remote Host and Client RDP)

perhaps a driver ? or software used in host ? or remote hardware config ?

I'll try an new install on spare host next days ...

0 Kudos
jfred90
Contributor
Contributor

I was having the same issues with jumpy mouse when RDP'ing to host and using VM's on Workstation 15.0 and 15.5 after upgrading to Windows 10 1903.

I was having other issues with the machine periodically crashing while on RDP and found posts mentioning a local policy change to address that issue.  So far no crashes, but I just hit one of my VM's and no lag anymore either!

I haven't had time to flip it back to see if it returns, but I'll include the info here for anyone who wants to try it and let us know if it solves it for them!

GPEDIT.msc
Local Computer Policy
Computer Configuration
  Administrative Templates
   Windows Components
    Remote Desktop Service
     Remote Desktop Session Host
       Remote Session Environment
        Use WDDM graphics display driver for Remote Desktop Connections  to DISABLED

Then reboot!

dan2001ro
Contributor
Contributor

It works, No more mouse issues while RDPing into windows 1903 and using linux kde vm inside vmware. Thank you very very much for this tip.

0 Kudos
cmbritton
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for adding this info. Unfortunately, it does not affect the problem in my environment. Is it possible that you modified some other configuration setting at the same time you disabled WDDM for remote desktop connections?

I'm glad someone is having some luck with this. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
sonic9
Contributor
Contributor

That was the same setting described by @jfred90 , I'm disabled too some weeks ago.

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services" /v fEnableWddmDriver /t reg_dword /d 0 /f

NoelC1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

GPEDIT.msc

Local Computer Policy

Computer Configuration

Administrative Templates

Windows Components

Remote Desktop Service

Remote Desktop Session Host

Remote Session Environment

Use WDDM graphics display driver for Remote Desktop Connections  to DISABLED

Worked for me.  Gee it's nice to get back to having full control of the cursor.  Thanks!
The above needs to be done on the v1903 controlled (e.g., remote) system, by the way.

But no reboot is needed.  Just disconnect and reconnect RDP.

-Noel

hahakiki2010
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

>Use WDDM graphics display driver for Remote Desktop Connections  to DISABLED

This step is done on host or guest?

0 Kudos
crematory
Contributor
Contributor

Host side

Just press win+r keys, type gpedit.msc and follow previous posts, no need for a restart..

0 Kudos
NoelC1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Uh, no.  It's the CONTROLLED system that has to use the XDDM driver model for the fix to be effective.

-Noel

0 Kudos
fhlipzero
Contributor
Contributor

THIS FIXED IT THANK YOU SO MUCH

0 Kudos
gur111
Contributor
Contributor

Can I kiss you?

I didn't even need to reboot. Just to re-connect

0 Kudos
gbohn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just went through the same pain, and this tip seems to have saved the day.

I was running a Win-10 1809 system as a Host for a Centos 7.7 Guest. I would RDP in to this system from a remote 1903 system, and things worked as expected.

After updating the 'target' system to 1903, I had a horribly unusable 'jumpy' mouse in the remote controlling systems RDP session (when contolling the vmware Workstation Guest).

After making the change with gpedit.msc on the target system (hosting the Workstation 14.1.8 guest), the mouse is once again usable in the Workstation Guest (when RDPing in).

I changed from Workstation 14.1.7 to 14.1.8, from Windows 10 1809 to 1903, and updated the Nvidia Video drivers to 441.21 (studio) all around the same time. So, which one (or combination) was responsible is not clear to me. But, it seems like there is some issue with 1903 and Workstation Guest.

Thanks.

0 Kudos