VMware Communities
Bernd_Nowak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMware Workstation 12 Pro released, thoughts ...

Yesterday I realized that VMware has released Workstation 12 Pro.

I checked the upgrade price and was a bit surprised. 159€. This is a lot of money for me.

I checked the "features" and while there are some "nice" new features there's the question if the amount of new features justify 159€.

Hmmm.

And I could see that there are still some problems with Windows 10 hosts regarding adding custom virtual network adapters. This left me in a confused state. I'm considering to buy the upgrade but also consider using Virtual Box instead or even Hyper-V.

It seems that most major releases, which are charged, are coupled with a new release of Windows or Windows Server version.

Just some frustration venting Smiley Happy and my 2 cents Smiley Happy

7 Replies
NoelC1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was hoping for $99, given the short time we've had to run version 11.

But perhaps we should be thankful...

Maybe it's better they charge good money for it rather than somehow embrace a "Freemium" advertising-supported model.  A LOT better.

At this point nothing says I have to upgrade.  I'm certainly not going to upgrade my host OS to Win 10 any time soon.  Win 10 is the most privacy-invading operating system ever released, and without any compelling, value-adding features to offset the downsides.  Frankly, it embodies exactly what people used to consider malware.  VMW11 runs Win 10 in a VM for testing on an 8.1 host just fine.

-Noel

0 Kudos
tomba4
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, Win10 guest runs fine on Win10 host in Workstation 11. I suppose mentioning Windows 10 support was a requirement from marketing perspective, even if all listed "what's new" WS12 examples are already possible in WS11.

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

For god;s sake don't  pay a $149 for this 'upgrade".  WS 11 works perfectly as a host and guest on Windows 10.  I was part of the Technical Preview which lasted only 3 months.  They were claiming a five-fold speed increase for snapshots and resume.  I guess they released it fast so they coud EOL just as fast. 

0 Kudos
SARAVANAN_O
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not yet ..only VMware Workstation 11

asubhani
Contributor
Contributor

would anyone know by any chance if workstation 11 users can get free upgrade to 12?

0 Kudos
NoelC1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, but you have to have bought it since July 29.

http://ir.vmware.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=928720

-Noel

0 Kudos
asubhani
Contributor
Contributor

I did not purchase it Noel... It was a gift from vmware that i received upon passing my VCP-DCV510 exam... I guess reading the announcement paper one must buy workstation 12 and upgrade regardless... Thanks for your reply...

0 Kudos