VMware Communities
Demuz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Workstation 12 Pro, Windows 10 VM and Office 2013 - graphical issues

I just upgraded from VMware Workstation 11 to 12 Pro on my host machine (Windows 8.1 x64). After this I noticed that in my Windows 10 VM  Office 2013 is having graphical problems in menus. With Workstation 11 this same Windows 10 VM didn't have any problerms with Office 2013.

No with latest VMware tools and Workstation 12 Pro this Windows 10 VM with Office Outlook 2013 looks like this:

2015-08-29 14_30_04.png

Any ideas how to resolve?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
axalux
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have the same issue.

Moreover, I faced troubles with Photoshop (crop tool makes the image going black). This problem wasn't occurring before upgrading.

At last, I have found another problem with my Logitech C310 that doesn't work properly (the image is not loading).

I hope these details will be enough to provide a solution.

0 Kudos
Demuz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I unchecked "Accelerate 3D graphics" option from virtual machine settings and so far it seems to help. Are you using Nvidia GPU? I'm using and now I remember that with older VMware Workstation I had stability issues with my VM's if this setting was checked.

duNQW9A.png

0 Kudos
axalux
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for this tip. However, this is just a workaround because this will seriously decrease the graphic performances!

To answer your question, my GPU is an AMD one embedded in a DELL Precision M4700 and this was working correctly with Workstation 11.

0 Kudos
Demuz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hope VMware can fix this. For me it's not so big deal because I don't need much graphical performance in my VM's and I can remove the GPU acceleration.

0 Kudos
gwwaus
Contributor
Contributor

I have the exact same issue with the same circumstances.  I believe this was an issue for a previous version with the same work around (which makes the distortion go away).  VMware  please fix this.

Gregory

0 Kudos
PoulKlemmensen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

I have seen that the VMWare tools alters "Change the size of all items" and changes the default value from 100% to 125% on my server 2012R2. And it updates everytime i logoff and back in again? The settings is found in Screen Resolution -> Make text and other items larger or smaller.

0 Kudos
axalux
Contributor
Contributor

In Windows 10, I don't think my settings have been changed in the way you describe.

For me, this is more a bug linked with the new graphic improvements shipped with this 12 version.

0 Kudos
rachelsunsm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks all for using Workstation.

We do have some performance issue now with office under lower hardware(HW 10 and HW 11). we hit the issue with powerpoint.

Could you try the following and see if the issue can be fixed:

a. change the processor to 2 or more?

b. upgrade HW to 12.

c. update the tools to the latest one.

d. update the host Graphics driver to latest one.

Thanks,

Rachel

0 Kudos
rachelsunsm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you give more detail information about:

1. what's your host ?

2. your host Graphics card information and driver information?

3. Hardware version of your vm?

4. if possible could you provide vmware.log? if I couldn't reproduce it, I think dev may need to take look at the vmware.log

Any way I will to try to reproduce on my own environment.

for you Logitech C310 doesn't work, it more like a USB issue?

Rachel

0 Kudos
axalux
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

First of all, many thanks for your support.

My config is the following:

• Host: Windows 7 Entreprise 64-bit SP1
  • GPU: ATI AMD (ATI) FirePro M4000 (FireGL V) Mobility Pro Graphic (part of a Dell laptop Precision M4700)
  • Hardware version for VM: 11

and I think I solved my problem:

• I changed the OS setting to "Windows 10"
  • Upgraded the vm hardware to 12 (it was still in 11)
  • reinstalled the VmTools

Now, the display glitches in Photoshop and in Office seem to be part of the past!

If you still need logs, I can provide them to you but as far as it seems solved, I am not quite sure it is still relevant.

Kind regards,

Michaël

0 Kudos
thewul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I know totally off-topic, pls do accept my apologies for that, but out of curiosity..

you say you are running W10 as vm.

Is this a single, newly bought, W10 version

or

Is this an upgrade over a W7 or W8.1 (running as vm)

?

Reason for asking that upgrading within v11 seems impossible.

Error:  "Get Windows 10" Fails due to VMWare SVGA 3D driver,

Maybe VMware updated the SVGA driver in their 12 Pro version?

=

0 Kudos
Neil1T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If I remember correctly, this error only occurs with the MS downloaded upgrade files.

if you use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - Windows Help

download an ISO and attach it to the VM, it should upgrade no problem.  That's how I upgraded my W7 machine.

0 Kudos