VMware Communities
Asharam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Workstation 12 Pro Mouse Forward Back Buttons Don't Work

The forward and back buttons on the mouse don't work with VMware Workstation 12 Pro.  I've installed several guest systems, and the problem is the same with all.

Adding these lines to the VMX file doesn't work and isn't a solution for ALL guests.

usb.generic.allowHID = "TRUE"
mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"
mouse.vusb.useBasicMouse = "FALSE"

I'd rather not spend another week and dozens of hours fixing this problem like I did the previous issue with VMware Workstation 12 Pro and mouse problems.

The forward and back buttons worked with VMware Workstation 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, and 6. 

30 Replies
chris_johannsen
Contributor
Contributor

I am experiencing the same issue. VMWare Workstation PRO 12.5.7 Build -5813279, Lenovo MT20, Windows 10 Host, Mint Linux 18.2 Guest, Logitech Marble Mouse. I added the lines to the vmx and restarted the guest to no avail. After message around I noticed that if I right click on the VM in the browser and Go to Removable Devices > Logitech USB Trackball > Connect (Disconnect from host) that the Guest OS notices the Mouse and applies the changes and the Back/Forward buttons start working. The problem is that the USB Device is no longer attached in the Host OS and I am unable to use the mouse outside of the VM, which makes it unworkable.

I am posting in hopes that someone from VMWare is paying attention and this provides some more insight into why VMWare is broken.

0 Kudos
dimet
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue with VMware Workstation 14.

Lenovo P50, Host OS: Win 7 x64, Guest OS: Win 7 x64, Cordless Mouse: Logitech MX620, SetPoint software 6.67.82. The same with Host OS Win10x64 and Guest OS Win7x64.

Guest OS does not even pick up any clicks from Zoom, Forward, and Back buttons. I was using VMware Workstation 11 (11.1.2 build-2780323) before this upgrade and mouse buttons were fine.

Without those buttons working it is a colossal loss of productivity. Unfortunately, there is nothing left to do but to ask for a refund.

0 Kudos
DodgeDeBoulet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same issue here with a Lenovo T460p and VMWare Workstation 14. Windows 10 Pro x64 host OS and Windows 7 Home x64 guest. I've made the suggested changes to the VMX file and still no-go.

I do not recall having these issues with VMWare 12.x though.

0 Kudos
DodgeDeBoulet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Since I'm still within my complimentary support period for version 14, I've opened a ticket with VMWare and will report on any successes in resolving this issue.

0 Kudos
DodgeDeBoulet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No successes yet, but VMWare Support acknowledges that it's a bug that has generated multiple support tickets and that it's being researched.

0 Kudos
DodgeDeBoulet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The problem persists with Workstation 14.1. No update on my support ticket, either.

0 Kudos
DodgeDeBoulet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWare Support acknowledged that this issue persists with Workstation 14.1 over TWO MONTHS ago. I attempted to get a status on my support ticket this morning only to find that, since it was a "known issue" the ticket had been closed. And since I'm past my complimentary support period and it's been more than 3 weeks since the ticket was closed, I cannot get a status on the issue without signing up for a support plan and opening a new ticket.

I'm obviously pretty reluctant to throw more money at VMWare given the current state of affairs, so I'm posting this here in the hope that someone on the support or development team will provide an update.

0 Kudos
ssisneros
Contributor
Contributor

This worked for me using VMware Workstation 15 Pro

Logitech mouse M510

0 Kudos
virtual_nic
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I just want to mention my experience with these mouse forward/back buttons issue.

My host runs Windows 7 Pro and I'm experiencing the same (or very similar) issue on VMWare Workstation 15 Pro : the mouse additionnal buttons do not work in VM guest when they are used through Workstation Pro interface. I have tried to add the three lines in vmx file without success.

However, I noticed this:

My mouse is a logitech "Performance Mouse MX". I configured SetPoint in order to replace the default "back" action of "back" mouse button with a "double-click" action. Then when I press the "back" action, it performs a double-click. The double-click worked perfectly on host computer and on every VMWare Workstation Pro versions 6 to 12.5 (included). Since Workstation Pro 13, the double-click doesn't work anymore in guest when using it through Workstation interface.

Now I noticed one strange behaviour: On the host I can test the double-click by pressing my "double-click" button with cursor located on Workstation Pro title bar. This will toggle the Workstation Pro in windowed and fullscreen modes. The title bar double-click works until I select a running VM : when the actual VM tab shows a stopped or paused VM (or if interface has no VM tab at all), the double-click works on Workstation title bar. Since I start or resume the actual VM, the double-click on Workstation stop working until I stop or pause the VM again, or until I select another stopped or paused VM. Behaviour is the same with all VM I tested (windows or linux guest OS).

I tried different other mouse shortcuts with same result. For instance, I associated the keypress "arrow up" and "arrow down" on back and forward buttons. When I press these on Workstation Pro, this moves the selection cursor in Workstation VMs Library window. When the current selected VM is running, the mouse shortcuts stop working. If I stop/pause the current VM, the mouse shortcuts start working again.

My conclusion : The issue concerns Workstation Pro interface. It looks like if Workstation enables/disables the additionnal mouse buttons when the current VM tab shows a running VM. This consequently disallows the use of these additionnal buttons in guest VM, except when not using the Workstation interface, i.e. when using remote desktop or VNC

0 Kudos
mrueegg
Contributor
Contributor

Worked for me, using VMware Workstation 15.5.6 on Windows 10 host with Ubuntu 20.04 guest.

• Did no work before
  • powered off the guest
  • exited VMware Workstation
  • added the three lines to the .vmx file
    (none of them where present before, but usb.present = "TRUE" was there)
  • re-opened VMware Workstation
  • started the Ubuntu guest
  • back and forward now works in Firefox on guest 🙂

It's a normal no-name mouse (HID-compilant mouse) using Microsoft default driver dated 21.06.2006 ...

I'm not using Remote Desktop.

0 Kudos
immortalt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This problem still exist in VMWare Workstation 16.2.4 and I have tried many methods but nothing can help.

0 Kudos