VMware Communities
vmfan13
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware Workstation 12.5.1 vmui error

I have a problem with Workstation 12.5 or 12.5.1 on my pc.

I installed a fresh installation of Windows 10 Pro x64 1607 on my Dell Optiplex 3010.

The installation of vmware workstation 12.5.1 terminated without problem but when I start the application I receive an error.

| vmui| I125: Msg_Post: Error

| vmui| I125: [msg.log.error.unrecoverable] VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (vmui)

| vmui| I125+ Exception 0xc0000005 (access violation) has occurred.

| vmui| I125: [msg.panic.haveLog] A log file is available in "C:\Users\Popi\AppData\Local\Temp\vmware-Popi\vmware-ui-5624.log". 

| vmui| I125: [msg.panic.requestSupport.withoutLog] You can request support. 

| vmui| I125: [msg.panic.requestSupport.vmSupport.windowsOrLinux]

| vmui| I125+ To collect data to submit to VMware support, choose "Collect Support Data" from the Help menu.

| vmui| I125+ You can also run the "vm-support" script in the Workstation folder directly.

| vmui| I125: [msg.panic.response] We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.

| vmui| I125: ----------------------------------------

| vmui| W115: Exception caught; trying to exit app.

| vmui| I125: CDS: Clearing the credentials cache.

| vmui| I125: CDS: Clearing the credentials cache.

| vmui| I125: WORKER: asyncOps=0 maxActiveOps=0 maxPending=0 maxCompleted=0

| vmui| I125: DictionaryLoad: Cannot open file "C:\Users\Popi\AppData\Roaming\VMware\inventory.vmls": Unknown error 2 (0x2).

| vmui| I125: FILE: FileDeletionRetry: Non-retriable error encountered (C:\Users\Popi\AppData\Roaming\VMware\inventory.vmls~): Unknown error 2 (0x2) (2)

| vmui| W115: CnxMgr::~CnxMgr(): Pending connection to localhost

| vmui| I125: Exited abnormally.

I didn't have this problem with old version 12.1.1.

Could you help me?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmfan13
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This error occurs when the network adapter doesn't have the dns setting (I have a static ip address).

Then, I have set 127.0.0.1 like dns and I have resolved the problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Harwise
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I suspect it is caused by the new version of libcurl dll. Could you please try replacing the installed libcurl.dll with the one in attachment?

the installed libcurl.dll is in "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation".

I wish you would tell me whether it works or not, thank you!

0 Kudos
vmfan13
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This error occurs when the network adapter doesn't have the dns setting (I have a static ip address).

Then, I have set 127.0.0.1 like dns and I have resolved the problem.

0 Kudos
Harwise
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It's great that you find the resolution.

However, I tried but failed to reproduce this problem on many different PCs.

Could you please do me a favor to have a test, to figure out whether the attached libcurl.dll also would resolve the problem?

Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
nexus9k
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am also having the exact VMware Workstation 12.5.x issue concerning the vmui startup error and Workstation subsequently closing. Verified with version 12.5, 12.5.1 and the latest patch 12.5.2 (on Windows 10 and Windows 7x64). I have reported this bug/issue with VMware support. The earlier fix mentioned adding any DNS IP address on the ethernet interface has worked but was not a practical fix (especially for standalone/offline system deployments). I have successfully replaced the libcurl.dll with the version you have posted and it has fixed the issue on all systems affected. It looks like the posted dll is an older version from the file details. We are currently delaying the rollout of VMware Workstation 12.5 to our systems until a proper update addresses the issue. When can we expect to have a formal fix implemented in an Workstation 12.5 update package? Thanks for all the help.

0 Kudos
Harwise
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thank you so much for your reply. And you are right, the libcurl.dll I attached indeed is an old version of it and in fact is the one used by WS 12.2.1.

But of course we don't want to roll back to the old version of libcurl in the next release. So, trying to fix this problem, we want to have a try with the newer version of libcurl. Could you please have a test with the new one I attach again?

0 Kudos
Harwise
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Upgrading the libcurl to the latest version can fix this issue. We will make it in the next release. Thank you very much!

0 Kudos