VMware Communities
joselemos
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Workstation 12.0 tools issue

Hi everyone. I have an issue with VMware Workstation 12, when I install VMware tools on Windows XP it says PCI device can't be installed, so I did follow this help content but it didn't work. Hardware ID is PCI\VEN_15AD&DEV_07E0&SUBSYS_07E015AD&REV_00. Thanks in advance.

5 Replies
chaithu4u
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

This error occurs when the virtual floppy with the autoinstall information required by Easy Install does not unmount properly.

To resolve this issue and unmount the virtual floppy:

1. Power off the virtual machine.
  2. Go to VM > Settings
  3. Select Floppy.
  4. Select Use physical drive, and set the dropdown to Auto detect.This unmounts the virtual floppy from the virtual drive.
  5. Power on the virtual machine and install VMware Tools. 

If the same error persists when trying to install VMware Tools, delete and re-add the virtual floppy drive and the virtual CD/DVD drive.

To delete and re-add the drives:

1. Power off the virtual machine.
  2. Go to VM > Settings
  3. Select CD/DVD.
  4. Make a note of the current settings for this device, then click Remove.
  5. Click Add.
  6. Select CD/DVD, and click Next.
  7. Select the settings you noted previously (or you can set them later), and click Next > Finish.
  8. Select Floppy.
  9. Make a note of the current settings for this device, then click Remove.
  10. Click Add.
  11. Select Floppy, and click Next.
  12. Select the settings you noted previously (or you can set them later), and click Next > Finish.
  13. Power on the virtual machine and install VMware Tools.
0 Kudos
balarajugopinat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Virtual Machine (VM) > Install VMware Tools. With ESXi run the vSphere Client and click Inventory > Virtual Machine > Guest > Install/Upgrade VMware Tools

For Windows 98 and Windows 98SE, there is no support for the VMCI device in VMware Tools. One workaround is to disable the VMCI device using the Device Manager so that it is ignored by Windows, and diagnostic tools stop reporting errors. Another workaround is to downgrade the virtual machine to virtual hardware version 4..

downgrade the virtual machine to virtual hardware version 4..

0 Kudos
joselemos
Contributor
Contributor

It did not work. It seems an issue with Windows XP SATA drivers.

0 Kudos
richiebarry
Contributor
Contributor

Correct! I ran in to the same issue converting a physical Win XP machine to virtual that the original install had been on a SATA drive so Windows had a SATA controller loaded in the devices which Workstation picked up when the VHD was attached (I used Disk2VHD to virtualise the drive as the machine was not bootable so had to be imaged as an attached drive). Installing VMWare tools cleared all the driver issues except this one PCI device - hardware ID PCI\VEN_15AD&DEV_07E0&SUBSYS_07E015AD&REV_00

THE FIX - edit your config settings and set sata0:0.present = "FALSE". It was set to true in mine hence Windows XP detecting a SATA drive which doesn't exist and for which there are no VM drivers to install. No more found new hardware on boot annoyances. This assumes your VHD was attached as an IDE device (recommended - I had experimenting with SCSI and F6ing the virtual floppy SCSI drivers VMWare provide on a repair install - did not work and gave the usual 7D BSOD on login).

Had to register for the community just to post this - hope it helps somebody!

ac427
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are there no VMware SATA drivers for Windows XP ?

I have been have been trying to convert an install of Windows XP on a SATA drive into a VM.

I got the 7B BSOD when it boots. So i tried swapping the VM's disk from IDE to SATA via the VM settings, by removing the disk and re-adding as a SATA drive.

I got a 'disk read error' then.

I then installed XP over the top of the original install. It boot in XP now but it is dog slow even after removing all the hidden devices in Device Manager.

Is a hot clone through VMware Convertor the only way?

Ps. Richiebarry's answer is correct for getting rid of the 'Unknown Device'.

0 Kudos