VMware Communities
etnguyen03
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Workstation 10.0.5 MSI failed

I am upgrading to VMware Workstation 10.0.5 from 10.0.4. The upgrade process has removed 10.0.4, however when trying to install 10.0.5, I get an error:

The MSI 'C:\Users\Ethan\AppData\Local\Temp\VMware_1422579427\vmwareworkstation_x64.msi' failed.

I have done the following with no fruit:

1. Followed VMware KB 1031302 and KB 1308
  2. Copied the 'C:\Users\Ethan\AppData\Local\Temp\VMware_*\' directory to another location an ran the command

msiexec.exe /i vmwareworkstation_x64.msi EULAS_AGREED=1

however I got a different error:

Failed to install the hcmon driver.

3. Ran CCleaner's registry cleaner
  4. Tried to (re)install VMware 10.0.4, however I still got the 'msi failed' error

I found two logs, which are attached below. I have searched everywhere without finding a solution, any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
xindayu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi etnguyen03etnguyen03,

Here are 3 useful links when an Workstation installer error happens on Windows.

Hope it helps.

VMware KB: Cleaning up after an incomplete uninstallation on a Windows host

VMware KB: Troubleshooting an MSI error during a VMware product or Tools installation

Need to Reinstall Windows Installer in Windows 7 - Microsoft Community

Since you have tried the KB 1031302 and KB 1308, the third link may be more useful.

According to the reply in the third link:

Please clean up related keys under: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\InProgress

Check the following registry key and clean any entries in the key that you find:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations

Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
xindayu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi etnguyen03etnguyen03,

Here are 3 useful links when an Workstation installer error happens on Windows.

Hope it helps.

VMware KB: Cleaning up after an incomplete uninstallation on a Windows host

VMware KB: Troubleshooting an MSI error during a VMware product or Tools installation

Need to Reinstall Windows Installer in Windows 7 - Microsoft Community

Since you have tried the KB 1031302 and KB 1308, the third link may be more useful.

According to the reply in the third link:

Please clean up related keys under: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\InProgress

Check the following registry key and clean any entries in the key that you find:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations

Thanks!

0 Kudos