VMware Communities
tps800
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Workstation 10.0.1 crash booting up Windows XP

Today I noticed crashes of VMware Workstation 10.0.1 while logging in to Windows XP. I could reproduce the very same crash. Looks like VMware Workstation 10.0.1 crashes while Windows XP starts VMware Tools. After removing VMware Tools the very same VM didn't crash after loggin in.

Anyone else seeing this?

The dialog shown after the instance wrote its dump says:

VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0)

Unexpected signal: 6.

A log file is available in "/data/vm/vms/nc158-muc-v1/vmware.log". 

You can request support. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi tps800,

Any chance you could attach the logfile containing the error?  Look in the /data/vm/vms/nc158-muc-v1/ directory, but note that the log files are renumbered each time you power on the VM, so it might be vmware-0.log, vmware-1.log, etc...  Just look for the one containing the text "Unexpected signal: 6".  You've been here a few years, so I'll skip the instructions on how to attach a file in these forums. :smileygrin:

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
tps800
Contributor
Contributor

Here it is ...

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What a fascinating crash... thanks for the log!  It'd be helpful to collect a corefile and a bit more information from you, if possible.  If you don't want to go crashing your VM anymore, that is fine, but seeing as you have a setup there that reproduces the crash – and reproducing a crash is golden – we'd greatly appreciate if you could give us this help.

To proceed, launch a regular Terminal window (as your normal user, not as root), and run the following commands:

sudo sysctl kernel.core_pattern=core

This should disable the Ubuntu apport system and allow us to obtain a regular corefile from the crashing process.

ulimit -c unlimited

This will allow the corefile to be written out – The default of 0 doesn't allow any corefile to be written.

vmware

This will launch the VMware Workstation UI from within the terminal session.  The UI should behave as usual, but when the VM crashes, it will probably dump a few more lines of useful text to the terminal window.

Now go ahead and reproduce the crash.  Hopefully the vmware.log will say that it's dumped a corefile – not the monitor coredump, which is vmmcores.gz, but a regular core in the VM's directory.  If you do get a core, please provide the few lines of text that hopefully appear at the console at that time, plus the new vmware.log, and I'll make arrangements to grab the core from you (it'll be too big to attach here!).

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos