VMware Communities
nojar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware WorkStation Pro 12.1.0 top level menu not visible, any suggestions

I have been using Workstation from V9 without many issues on Linux x86_64 for some time now.

I have been using v12.0.1 fine without any issues.

Since I upgraded to 12.1.0 my top level menu in both windowed and full screen seem to be white text on white back-ground

- The menu seems to be there but it is not visible, the spacing exists

- The drop-down menus are visible when the "top level" menu is selcted.

Since I know the product, I am able to work around not seeing the high-level menus but this is a pain.

I am using Fedora 22 x86_64 Cinnamon, a Gnome 3 spin.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Image 1 shows the current problem in v12.1.0, Image 2 shows the menu in v12.0.1

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lancerus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the exact same problem -- my host OS is Fedora 21 x86_64 Cinnamon.

I've backed off to 12.0.1 or 12.0.0 - but the problem with each of those releases is I cannot move (reorganize) any of the virtual machines in the left menu.   That appears to have been fixed with the 12.1.0 release.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
lancerus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the exact same problem -- my host OS is Fedora 21 x86_64 Cinnamon.

I've backed off to 12.0.1 or 12.0.0 - but the problem with each of those releases is I cannot move (reorganize) any of the virtual machines in the left menu.   That appears to have been fixed with the 12.1.0 release.

0 Kudos
nojar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have raised a problem ticket against this issue, but the issue is still under investigation with VMware.

- they are still collecting data from me at this time.

I will share an update if one is found.

I have found the answer and the issue seems to changes in v12.1.x that has affected many of the Desktop "Control Themes"

I raise the issue on the Cinnamon forum and I got a answer. I changed my "Controls" theme, which takes immediate effect

and I can now see the main Menu items whose display seems to be controlled by the "Controls" theme and not the application.

VMware application menu is visible under Gnome but not Cinnamon · Issue #5134 · linuxmint/Cinnamon ·...

0 Kudos