VMware Communities
mfelker
Expert
Expert

VMware WS 15.0.2 and Fedora with kernel 5.0.0-0.rc1.git0.1.fc30.x86_64 fails to compile

First I acknowledge  that  Fedora Rawhide is not officially supported.   Nevertheless, WS 15 works great on  that OS with kernel 4.21.0-0.rc0.git1.1.fc30.x86_64.  

If  anybody has gotten WS 15  to compile on a distro using Linux kernel 5.orc1 I would be more than happy to try and confirm.

If anybody at VMware is  working on kernel 5.0 I am attaching a zipped archive of vmware-5455.log and  vmware-apploader-5455.log

Here we go again.  Thanks Linus.   BTW Virtualbox 6.0 fails to compile as well but of course that's another  forum.

Tags (1)
5 Replies
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Thanks for the link.   The README states these platches only apply to the vanilla versions of the kernel.   I myself have not compiled a vanilla version of kernel 5.0, nor am I likely to do so in the near future.   I must rely on the kernels provided by the Fedora Rawhide repositories, including RPM Fusion of course.   I can wait for VMware (or Virtualbox) developers to come up with the solution - in the meantime VMware 15 works great on the latest kernel I know will work with WS  4.21.0-0.rc0.git1.1.fc30.x86_64.    As it's name indicates this is a custom version a Linus arbitrarily decreed that kernel 4.21 has now become 5.0.  

0 Kudos
mkubecek
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The README states these platches only apply to the vanilla versions of the kernel.

That's not what it says. The README says the patches are tested against vanilla kernels (I can't really be expected test build against all distribution kernels). It says nothing about them not applying to any other kernel. There may be problems with distribution kernel backporting changes from new kernels to old ones as some of the changes are not easy to detect properly so that I have to resort to checking kernel versions. But with experimental 5.0-rc1 packages, I wouldn't really expect problems.

And, please, stop blaming Linus for your problems. Only one of the three changes breaking the build against 5.0-rc1 comes from him (and no, switching to new "major version" has nothing to do with it). The kernel does not promise internal API stability (it never did) and everyone who decides to maintain an out-of-tree module has to expect incompatible changes and has to adapt their module from time to time. It's up to them how quickly they do so. VMware is known to be one of the slower ones (being two versions behind is quite common) which is why my repository exists. (What makes me really sad is rather the growing list of build warnings VMware chose to ignore.)

septo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your work maintaining the repo and for the helpful and insightful response.

0 Kudos
septo
Contributor
Contributor

VMware: when do you plan to release a fix for this? It's a pretty expensive product to have support lag for so long. It's May; this thread was opened in January. With this kind of support for your users, I don't see a compelling reason to keep giving you money. So far after buying workstation I got a lot more buyers remorse than use out of your product.

Please consider moving this up in your roadmap.

0 Kudos