VMware Communities
kellster
Contributor
Contributor

VMware WS 14.1.1 build 7528167 renders vmnet0/bridging impossible

What's up with WMware Workstation 14.1.1?  I installed it and even though the VMware Bridge Protocol is bound to my motherboard's NIC, but I have no (zero, zilch, nada) vmware adapters in the "Network Connections" folder.  When I try to create vmnet0 I have no problems, but when I try to make it a bridged connection I get an error window with the message "Cannot change network to bridged: There are no un-bridged host network adapters".

I'm running Windows 10 with AVG Internet Security.  AVG has the "Advanced Settings" option "Allow any traffic from/to virtual machines supported by firewall" box checked.

I've been through a variety of posts and tried several things, including installing and uninstalling a couple of times, running "net start vmnetbridge" --to which I receive a message "The service name is invalid."

Is there a fix for this?  Or is it broken by design?

Update:  I've added images from my this installation on my desktop and my VMware Workstation 12 to illustrate the differences.

At this point I think I'll uninstall VMware 14 and re-install VMware 12.  Better to have an old product that works than the current one which is broken!

Message was edited by: Kelly McGrew

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kellster
Contributor
Contributor

I completely uninstalled VMware Workstation 14 and installed VMware Workstation 12 on my desktop.  I get the same issues I had with VMware 14 now.  I'm wondering if a MS Windows 10 update broke something. 

0 Kudos
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

I found this KB article https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2005168 not sure if you already had a look at this.

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos