VMware Communities
zonkerman
Contributor
Contributor

VMware WDDM Video Driver Scores Higher Than VMware SVGA II Driver In Windows 7 64bit?

From all the documents on-line I have read from the VMware site, I got the impression that the VMware SVGA II driver was more capable than the VMware WDDM driver. With tables showing SVGA II having support for 3D and Shader Model 3 while WDDM did not it seemed obvious. However, my Windows 7 64bit Windows Experiences scores show WDDM with a score of 4.5 and SVGA a score of 1.0. The 1.0 was rated for both graphics areas of the SVGA but the WDDM driver scored 5.1 for aero and 5.4 for 3D. This is totally opposite of what the VMware documentation for Workstation 7 describes the drivers are for. Is there some big documentation mix up here?

I'm asking because I spent some time documenting that techs in my area should use the SVGA II driver for 3D based on the VMware documentation but now I'm think the documentation is wrong. The Windows 7 scores are contradicting the documentation with WDDM showing far higher than SVGA II. What is the story here?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AnatolyVilchins

WDDM drivers have more robust feature sets presented that the older

driver model does. WDDM is required for Aero under Vista and above. You

should also see this VMware KB article that says not to install the SVGA driver from the tools.

Starwind Software Developer

www.starwindsoftware.com

Kind Regards, Anatoly Vilchinsky
0 Kudos
MassiveOverkill
Contributor
Contributor

I hope documentation gets updated soon to confirm this. I'm using an application that uses hemodynamic waveforms and since upgrading to 7.01 they no longer display. They display fine in my 32-bit XP guest, but not in my 32-bit Server2008 SP2 guest. I'm playing around with swapping guest video drivers now.

EDIT: Just tried it on Server2008 R2 64 bit and it works fine.

0 Kudos