VMware Communities
Tech87
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware USB boot disk

Hey all, I have a windows 10 Pro 64 bit installation on VMware Workstation Pro v15.5.1

I have created a USB boot disk using the Window media creation tool and Rufus, but can't get VMware to boot either one of them.

I have confirmed the bios boot order, re-created the boot disks, and even tried changing between bios and UEFI.

I'm starting to believe VMware prevents the booting of USB devices.

Can anyone confirm?

3 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

(ugly  but works)

OK, here is what I did. Note that my host is Linux Mint. WS is 15.
In a windows VM, I used Rufus to create a bootable USB drive. Used MBR for BIOS or UEFI
1. I had downloaded plpbt from the plop web site and located plpbt.iso, I  set it as my  CDROM drive.

2. Created a new VM, Windows 10 1903. Because there is no install OS on the CDROM, you have to select the type.
3. I set my VM for USB 2.0, and put the drive in a USB 2.0 slot.
4. I set the Advanced Option to boot from BIOS.
5. To give myself some time, I added bios.bootdelay="5000" to the bottom of the vmx file.
6. When I started the VM, I clicked in the window and hit escape. I then selected the CDROM drive. It booted the plpbt boot manager and (I think) asked me if I wanted to attach the USB drive.
7. When I selected the USB drive in the boot manager, it booted. Was slow bringing up the install stuff due to USB 2.0.

Tech87
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Wow! That is a very convoluted process to complete such a simple task.

Thanks for your input!

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I am a convoluted kind of guy. Smiley Happy

Maybe it is fixed now, I haven't done that in a long time.

Lou

0 Kudos