VMware Communities
nicko88
Contributor
Contributor

VMware-Tray not working at all.

Hi, I am running VMware workstation 7.1.3 on Windows 7 x64.

When I have one or several VMs of Windows XP 32bit booted up in workstation, and when I try to perform any operation such as pause, suspend, shutdown, open all background VMs nothign happens to any of the VMs open in workstation or the ones in the background.

Additionally this leaves me with the problem that I cannot bring any VMs that are in the background back into the foreground. I have to log into them via RDP or VNC and shut them down and reboot them in workstation to get them back in there again.

When I try to bring back one from the background to the foreground, workstation opens, but just sits there with no powered-on machines in it's list. Also, when workstation is launched this way I can no longer close it (the X does nothing and neither does right-click close.) Though the rest of the application responds just fine (i can go to options, minimize and maximize it and boot up other VMs).

When I do try to bring a VM back from background, I seem to get this error printed into the logs:

Dec 10 15:40:24.861: vmx| CnxHandleConnection: WSASocket returned error 10022.

Dec 10 15:40:24.861: vmx| VMAutomation: Cnx_CompleteAsyncOperation() failed.

Anyone have any ideas what is happening here?

It looks like this is my problem:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/170830;jsessionid=B2EF643F260C4BD218CCE89B8EEC94DB?start=0&...

(page 3 they talk about the problem with workstation 7)

But they never came up with a resolution.

2 Replies
SirMaster
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I get to answer my own question.

I did some digging and came to this conclusion which fixed my problem.

I actually had a conflicting program installed called ProxyCap.  ProxyCap installs and uses an alternate WSASocket implementation that overrides the default Windows sockets.  The problem is that the WSASocket that installs with ProxyCap doesn't implement all of the functions of the default Windows implementation.

So apparently, the VMware-Try uses sockets to talk to the virtual machines which I guess makes sense.

So my solution was to uninstall ProxyCap, reboot, and my tray now functions properly and can interact with all my VMs.

Oh, haha, I just realized I'm using a different account, I guess I remembered the login for my old account.  I'm actually also the OP.

hm76
Contributor
Contributor

my workstation 10 was working fine till one day -

upon launching background VM from VMware-tray VM was opening but a blank screen was visible .......

my problem was solved by readingSirMaster post VMware-Tray not working at all.

i had installed 2 software after which workstation had started giving problem (launching background VM from tray gave blank screen)

i un-installed those 2 recent software after which my workstation had started giving above problem (launching background VM from tray gave blank screen)

after restart it behaved as normally as before .

now background VM successfully launched from VMware-tray

(origninal post at Re: Unable to open background VMs)

0 Kudos