VMware Communities
WTig3ner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware Tools not running

I'm running a Windows 10 VM on a Kubuntu 22.04 box using VMware Pro 16.2.3 build-19376536. I have recently encountered a minor annoyance. From time to time, when I shut down the VM, I get a message that VMware Tools is not running on the VM. I know how to reinstall it; that's no problem. Apparently, it doesn't stay installed, but I've not discovered any pattern. Has anyone else encountered a problem like this? Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I occasionally get this on a couple of Windows VM's when I shut them down.

Don't do anything, and all is working when I start them back up. Tools seem to run OK. I will look closer next time.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Normally VMware Tools stays installed. It's not like that it has a mechanism to uninstall itself automatically. When you boot the VM do things like clipboard sharing work? Do you still see the "vm" icon in the lower right of the taskbar (might be hidden automatically, so may need to use the "show more" arrow to display it)?

What is more likely is that the VMware Tools process has crashed somewhere during using the VM. You can restart it manually if it is the vmtoolsd process that quit, or otherwise restart the "vmtools" system service if that's what crashed.

note: I'm only talking within Windows here.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I occasionally get this on a couple of Windows VM's when I shut them down.

Don't do anything, and all is working when I start them back up. Tools seem to run OK. I will look closer next time.

WTig3ner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've only tried it once, but I did get the warning (and ignored it, as you suggested), and the restarted machine is showing VM Tools running. I'm very grateful for your input.

0 Kudos
rachelgomez123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

To resolve this issue, you must reinstall VMware Tools after deleting the C:Program Files VMware Tools and C:ProgramData VMware VMware Tools folders.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez

0 Kudos