VMware Communities
url8
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Tools Setup won't Start on Windows 95

When ever I try to install VMware Tools on Windows 95, it tells me to upgrade Windows! It just refuses to install despite the fact that this is Windows 95 OSR2.1. I am not installing Internet Explorer 4 or above! Here's a screenshot:

toolproblem.PNG

By the way, I did use a fast CPU patch.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

I think that VMware mucked up the last few VMware Tools installs for legacy OS's such as Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000 and XP.

Best to download an older version of it, which you can find here:

CDS Repository /vmw-desktop/ws

In you case I would probably start by trying a VMware Tools package from version 12.

For example this one:

https://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/vmw-desktop/ws/12.5.9/7535481/windows/packages/tools-winPre2k....

When it then says "you need to upgrade VMware Tools" ... ignore that.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The tools package that comes with Workstation isn't compatible with such an old version of Windows. You may need to manually download and install the 9.x version which supports legacy operating systems.

0 Kudos
url8
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It worked with a fresh installation of Windows 95. It actually did work before, but now I don't know why it refuses to install. This isn't Windows NT 3.x.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

I think that VMware mucked up the last few VMware Tools installs for legacy OS's such as Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000 and XP.

Best to download an older version of it, which you can find here:

CDS Repository /vmw-desktop/ws

In you case I would probably start by trying a VMware Tools package from version 12.

For example this one:

https://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/vmw-desktop/ws/12.5.9/7535481/windows/packages/tools-winPre2k....

When it then says "you need to upgrade VMware Tools" ... ignore that.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos