VMware Communities
eghost355
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Station 6.5.2 bridged network not stable. About 50% of chance cannot get the Guest OS online

Actually I see this problem since 6.5.1.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/188482

I have Host OS WinXP 32bit and Guest OS CentOS 5.3 32bit with bridged network enabled. CPU is Phenom and Host NIC is Realtek 8111LD. After Guest OS installed, I occasionally encounter Guest OS cannot connect to bridged network. If I restart the Guest OS, without doing anything else, it may have chance to get back on network without any error until my next Guest OS restart. I tried the follow:

1) updated the Host NIC driver

2) disable Host NIC driver "Task Offload"

3) remove and re-add VM NIC

4) disable AMD-V/RVI

All are the same. The chance to have network or do not have network is about 50/50. Personal firewall disabled. For the same piece of Host, 6.0.5 never give me this issue.

Is there anyone has the same case and even have the solution already? All advises to me are greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot!!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
eghost355
Contributor
Contributor

just verify the case in further details.

5) just re-installed a linux with selecting VM6.0 format instead of VM6.5 format. Still the same (brand new install)

6) forced to set "Prefered mode = Binary Translation".

7) also one more observation!!! I was using a dos prompt to ping the ip of the Guest OS to see the result more clear. I found that the ip of Guest OS can repsponse to PING for 2 to 3 times of PING when the linux boot to "eth0 enabled" state. Then PING TIME OUT again afterward.Something wrong with the Ethernet emulation?

Result still the same (Guest OS cannot use network at all). Now going to remove VM 6.5.2 and fall back to 6.0.5 as suggested by others. but did VM6.0.x support AMD-V/RVI (hardware MMU) well? If the VM6.0 format of Linux can get network everytime on 6.0.x then it will be pretty sure that the problem of v6.5.x?

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Personal firewall disabled.

What personal firewall do you have installed? Also, disabling a firewall is not the same as uninstalling it -- some 3rd party firewalls still can cause problems even if they are "disabled".

0 Kudos