VMware Communities
WhiteKnight
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMware SVGA 3D - Some users have experienced emulator stability issues - Is this issue known?

Today, I launched Android Device Manager for the first time to be able to develop for Android using Visual Studio 2019.

Right when I started the emulator for the first time, I got the following error message:

GPU #1

Make: 15ad

Model: VMware SVGA 3D

Device ID: 0405

Some users have experienced emulator stability issues with this driver version.

As a result, we're selecting a compatibility renderer. Please check with your

manufacturer to see if there is an updated driver available.

VMware SVGA 3D issue.png

Is this issue known to VMware? Will there be a fix?

[VMware]: Workstation 17 Pro; --
[host]: Windows 10x64 host; --
[guests]: Windows 10x64, Windows 8x64.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
WhiteKnight
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

... no-one?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VMware Workstation does not support GPU passthrough, your VM uses the VMware SVGA video card/driver.

You might want to run that software on your host system rather than in a VM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
WhiteKnight
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks for replying.

Unfortunately, no.

The main purpose of VMware Workstation is to service as a development environment supporting different customers each having different environments. Quite close to what Docker is and does, yet with additional desktop experience.

If Workstation doesn't support this scenario, I strongly recommend VMware should rethink their business case if they want to stay in business with professional users.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As you haven’t offered any links related to the actual software you are using I’ve taken a guess via a Google search.

If this article relates to your software, you might want to have a good read through it: Configure hardware acceleration for the Android Emulator

It does mention hardware and software acceleration, and also VM acceleration too (with a brief mention of Virtualbox and Docker as well as VMware)

I read another article which suggests not using that emulator at all, and running Android x86 instead: https://android.developreference.com/article/22051186/Android%3a+10inch+android+emulator+is+very+slo...

Seems like there are downloadable VM images for that which you could try: https://www.osboxes.org/android-x86/

Yours is just one of many potential use cases for Workstation, you only have to browse other posts in this forum to appreciate that.

This previous post of yours might also help: Open CL - GPU Passthrough in VMware workstation 15?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Workstation even adds docker like features in the latest preview...

I'd say your usage scenario fits VMware Workstation's intended user base perfectly fine, I think Scott misunderstood what you are doing.

You are not trying to passthrough a graphics adapter.

edit: Scott got it just fine.

The error is from Android Device Manager from the looks of it and the question is more for them really as they throw a "you need a newer driver version" warning.

Have you tried, does it actually work?

Things you can check are:

- Are you using the latest VMware Tools

- Are you on the latest released VMware Workstation Pro version

- Is your VM using the latest virtual hardware version?

another edit: If you want to go the android x86 route then also have a look at my article here: https://www.vimalin.com/blog/install-android-x86-in-vmware-fusion/

Those steps should also work for VMware Workstation.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
WhiteKnight
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm using Visual Studio 2019 Enterprise along with Xamarin.Forms and the Android emulators coming with Visual Studio 2019:

pastedImage_0.png

I suppose there is not much of configuration I can do on my side.

0 Kudos
WhiteKnight
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

scott28tt​:

From what I know, the Visual Studio 2019 Android emulators utilize Hyper-V.

May I also refer to discussion: Can’t enable Solidworks hardware OpenGL

So, as you can imagine, there are many more use cases for professional developers/testers they currently can't accomplish using VMware Workstation because of the GPU passthrough feature missing.

Actually, from a user's perspective, I don't want to care too much on the reasons why things don't work as expected. I feel it's appropriate and sufficient to say: "Make it work and I'll gladly buy a new version. Or I won't because it's of no use for my work load."

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Seems to be more of a Microsoft-specific issue than anything else, from other articles and documentation I read.

I'll leave you to play with it or scrap the idea - I tried to help.

0 Kudos
WhiteKnight
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I couldn't find articles claiming that the Microsoft Xamarin Android emulators would cause general trouble.

There are Microsoft recommendations, though, for utilizing Hardware Acceleration for Emulator Performance (Hyper-V & HAXM) - Xamarin | Microsoft Docs

Would you like to share the articles you mentioned?

0 Kudos