VMware Communities
PTKDev
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Player unrecoverable error: (vthread-11)

My wmplayer crash if i not use my pc 40-60min

No standby or disk freeze is actived on windows 8,1

HOST: Win8.1
TEST ON GUEST: Xubuntu / Archlinux

0 Kudos
29 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

The vmware.log file from the VM might have been more helpful as this log file does not have the details of the VM configuration.

There's a number of errors about a signal not being able to be send before the actual GUI crash.

Another thing that is not completely clear is if VMware Tools is properly installed in the guest. This should not trigger a GUI crash, but it might be related.

Having said that, it seems that your VM crashes when your host goes into standby/sleep/hibernation mode, so changing settings on Windows 8.1 in regards to that might help as well.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
PTKDev
Contributor
Contributor

- VMTools correctly installed.

- Win8.1 have standby/sleep/hibernation mode disabled.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

The vmware.log file would have had more details really Smiley Happy

But seeing the vmx file helps in excluding parts.

If I was having your problem then I would probably do the following things for troubleshooting (eg. just trying to isolate the problem)

- disable/remove thinprint

- temporarily disable/remove the HGFS share

- remove the lines where a hid device is added (am I correct that you added those last 4 lines by hand?)

usb_xhci:4.present = "TRUE"

usb_xhci:4.deviceType = "hid"

usb_xhci:4.port = "4"

usb_xhci:4.parent = "-1"

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
PTKDev
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, i try this. Sorry, I attach vmware.log Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

The crash you showed on the initial log file happened on June 25th, the log file you attached now, only has June 26th, so can't match them up. (Most likely the file I would need is vmware-0.log, unless you have restarted your VM since attaching the previous file then it might have move up to vmware-1.log)

What I do notice is this:

2015-06-26T01:28:20.153+02:00| vcpu-1| I120: serial0: Failed to enforce the noRxLoss option: an overrun occurred while the virtual UART was in loopback mode.

2015-06-26T01:28:20.153+02:00| vcpu-1| I120: serial0: Overrun

Which is a buffer overrun on the thinprint parts. I would certainly remove thinprint from the VM configuration at this stage.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
PTKDev
Contributor
Contributor

I clean log and replace a bug tonight.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Looks like I missed seeing this setting a few times..

vhv.enable = "TRUE"

Are you intending to run a hypervisor in your  hypervisor?

With the Virtual Machine shut down and VMware Player not running, remove that line for your vmx file using a plain text editor such as notepad.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
PTKDev
Contributor
Contributor

For android studio i set vt-x enabled, is bad?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Your CPU crashes hard on it, from the looks of it.

Near the end of your boot process I see this in the logs:

2015-06-29T23:16:25.698+02:00| vcpu-0| I120: VTHREAD start thread 4 "vcpu-0" host id 5328

2015-06-29T23:16:25.698+02:00| vcpu-0| I120: MonTimer APIC:0/0 vec: 0

2015-06-29T23:16:25.698+02:00| vcpu-0| I120: APIC: version = 0x15, max LVT = 6, LDR = 0x1, DFR = 0xffffffff

2015-06-29T23:16:25.698+02:00| vcpu-0| I120: VT: Posted interrupts not supported.

2015-06-29T23:16:25.698+02:00| vmx| I120: hread 5328 3556SVGA thread is alive

2015-06-29T23:16:25.703+02:00| vcpu-0| I120: CPU reset: hard (mode 2)

2015-06-29T23:16:25.704+02:00| vcpu-1| I120: VTHREAD start thread 5 "vcpu-1" host id 2340

2015-06-29T23:16:25.704+02:00| vcpu-1| I120: MonTimer APIC:0/0 vec: 0

2015-06-29T23:16:25.704+02:00| vcpu-1| I120: APIC: version = 0x15, max LVT = 6, LDR = 0x2, DFR = 0xffffffff

2015-06-29T23:16:25.704+02:00| vcpu-1| I120: VT: Posted interrupts not supported.

2015-06-29T23:16:25.704+02:00| vcpu-0| I120: hread 2340 3556CPU reset: hard (mode 2)

2015-06-29T23:16:25.704+02:00| vcpu-1| I120: Intel VT: VPID enabled.

2015-06-29T23:16:25.704+02:00| vcpu-1| I120: Intel VT enabled.

Not something I expect to see while booting.

I notice online that for emulating x86 devices Android Studio will use KVM (and thus needs vt-x) but for emulating ARM devices it isn't required.

As far as using KVM under Workstation do note that it will have a performance impact even when it does work as it should.

You might also have to add additional settings to your vmx file in order to get it to work, see also:

http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2011/07/how-to-enable-support-for-nested-64bit.html

and:

http://thetechnologychronicle.blogspot.nl/2014/02/install-nested-kvm-in-vmware-esxi-51.html

But before tinkering with all that I suggest to disable the vhv.enable setting and see if that actually fixes your unrecoverable error.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
PTKDev
Contributor
Contributor

Is normal this crash? I disabled vt-x and test this solution.

I have ASUS ROG G751JY (cpu: i7-4710HQ)

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello Patryk,

A crash is never "normal", beware that I'm "just a guy" trying to help and not a VMware employee, VMware employees might be lurking in the background. The forum however is not an official support channel, it is here for peer to peer help.

For official help you need to open a ticket (here), but that requires that you have a support contract.

There can be many reasons for why a VM crashes.

The first part is trying to isolate what causes your crash and hopefully get you workaround.

After finding a cause you might get questions on details from VMware employees as they normally are interested in these type of cases and like to resolve it.

If the above does not help, then try and have a look if Asus hasn't released a newer firmware for your motherboard.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
PTKDev
Contributor
Contributor

Disable vt-x solved problem.

Thanks!

I search latest motherboard driver for asus g751jy and try test.

0 Kudos
PTKDev
Contributor
Contributor

Nothing, problem not solved with vt-x disabled. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I'm sorry to say that if there's no update for your BIOS/firmware on your ASUS motherboard then I'm currently running out of ideas.

You will need somebody like jmattson‌ to look at your problem.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Are you running any anti-virus software?  If so, try disabling it.

0 Kudos
PTKDev
Contributor
Contributor

Nope, i not use antivirus. Only windows defender but is disabled.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Another shot in the dark, although I would expect to have seen something mention it in the logs.

Do you have the Hyper-V role enabled in Windows 8.1?

--

Wil

0 Kudos
PTKDev
Contributor
Contributor

Where i find Hyper-V role in windows 8.1? Where is this setting?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

If you don't know where the setting is then you probably did not set it.

Just wanted to make sure you are not running another hypervisor at the same time.

Anyways.. the Hyper-V role can be found via:

- right click start button

- select programs and features

- Left bar has option: "turn windows features on or off"

- You'll see an option "Hyper-V" it should not be checked.

--

Wil

0 Kudos