VMware Communities
Anatol56
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Player 7 Prevent from close after shutdown Guest

Hi, im using VMware Workstation 11 and VMware Player 7

My Question is: When i use the Vmware Player and shutdown a Guest the Player always still be Closed (in VMware 10 there was an option to get back to the Libary, but this feature seems to be removed in VMware 11) now i like to know is there a way to stop VMware Player from closing down after shutingdown a Guest?

Cause it's irritating to always open it again to start the next Guest ...

Does any one know how to get around this?

Greetz Anatol56

3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

In VMware Player 6 Preferences there was a "Return to the VM Library after closing a virtual machine" checkbox which set the pref.vmplayer.returnToLibraryAfterClose = "TRUE" option in the %APPDATA%\VMware\preferences.ini file however manually setting this for VMware Player 7 does not work.  "pref.vmplayer.returnToLibraryAfterClose" was builtin to vmwarecui.dll in 6 however it's not present in this file in 7.  So I doubt there is a workaround and VMware changed this behavior for a reason and not necessarily a good one. Smiley Sad

Anatol56
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Woodyz

Thank you for your answer.

Is there any kind of bug report for that or where you get this information from?

I still cant/wont belive that they changed it cause its a Critical Bug.
I mean Workstation where not be Closed after you Shutdown a Guest.  Smiley Wink

But thanks again for your quick answer. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Is there any kind of bug report for that or where you get this information from?

I do not believe this is a bug and if a bug report did exist then VMware would have to comment on its existence.  I got the information from, among may things, being a programmer and have the knowledge and tools to glean information such as this from programs.  I admit I didn't take time to examine all the other DLL's and the fact that the GUI Element was removed from the vmplayer executable and its associated call from the DLL I didn't feel it was necessary to investigate further.

I still cant/wont belive that they changed it cause its a Critical Bug.

This may certainly be considered a major annoyance however I'd only consider it a bug if the code for the GUI Element was accidentally removed from the vmplayer executable and the call accidentally removed from the dynamic link library vmwarecui.dll and I doubt it accidentally happened.  I believe this was done as an intentional redesign and only someone from VMware will be able to provide an absolute authoritative reply to this.

I mean Workstation where not be Closed after you Shutdown a Guest.

IMO comparing VMware Workstation functionality, which is a paid program that also includes the free VMware Player, to functionality of free for noncommercial use VMware Player in this instance really isn't relevant as they are really two different programs targeting different user use patterns and needs not necessarily wants.

0 Kudos