VMware Communities
marius1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Netwotk Adapter settings

Where can I find the right default settings for the two VMware Network Adapters (VMnet1 and VMnet8) created while installing VMware Workstation?

Regards

Marius

0 Kudos
8 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Marius,

You should not have to change any of the settings for the virtual network adapters vmnet1 & vmnet8

vmnet1 is used when the virtual machine is configured for "Host-Only" networking and vmnet8 is used when the virtual machine is configured for "NAT"

Configuring a Virtual Network

http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_net.html

0 Kudos
jdjdjd
Contributor
Contributor

You should not have to change any of the settings for the virtual network adapters vmnet1 & vmnet8

You may have to change the settings for the virtual network adapter vmnet8.

Here is an example: if you run your own domain on vmnet8, and you need your domain DHCP server to be the DHCP server used by clients (for obvious AD reasons), then I think you'll probably want to edit the vmnet8 settings and disable the vmware DHCP server.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

This is case you would not use vmnet8, you would leave the settings on vmnet8 as they are and use one of the other virtual switches that are available that does not have DHCP

0 Kudos
jdjdjd
Contributor
Contributor

I have just recently reinstalled workstation 5.5.3, so I can copy out my settings, which I believe are the default installation settings:

== Summary ==

vmnet1 "Host-only" subnet 192.168.xxx (I think xxx is chosen by the installer)

DHCP enabled

vmnet8 "NAT" subnet 192.168.yyy (I think yyy is chosen by the installer)

DHCP enabled

== Automatic Bridging ==

Automatic bridging is enabled at installation (for bridging vmnet0 to physical)

== Host Virtual Network Mapping ==

vmnet0: Bridged to an automatically chosen adapter

subnet: 255.255.255.0

vmnet1: vmware network adapter vmnet1

DHCP 192.168.xxx.128 - .254

default lease 30min

max lease 2hrs

vmnet2-7: not bridged

vmnet8: vmware network adapter vmnet8

DHCP 192.168.yyy.128 - .254

default lease 30min

max lease 2hrs

NAT 192.168.yyy.2

UDP timeout: 30min

Active FTP enabled

Allow any OUI disabled

No port forwarding mappings

No DNS servers configured

== Host Virtual Adapters ==

vmware network adapter vmnet1 - vmnet1 - enabled

vmware network adapter vmnet8 - vmnet8 - enabled

== DHCP & NAT ==

As above

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

I am not sure that I understand your question.

0 Kudos
jdjdjd
Contributor
Contributor

This is case you would not use vmnet8,

Clearly you are wrong here, as you assert that I would not use vmnet8, but evidence already has proven you incorrect, as I already have Smiley Happy

However, I expect that is just a matter of phrasing -- you probably meant to say, I should do things differently. Assuming that is really what you meant to write, could you explain why I should use a different network adapter, and not follow the solution I explained earlier?

I'd appreciate being more informed, and learning why you say using a different adapter is better. Thanks in advance for any info.

0 Kudos
karlv
Contributor
Contributor

It gets even better when you upgrade - going from Server 1.0.1 to 1.0.2 switches your vmnets around so NAT breaks - nice "feature".

And it looks like Server is the opposite from Workstation, VMnet1 is the NAT interface and VMnet8 is the private one.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

There is no difference between vmnet1 and vmnet8 in VMware Server 1.0.1 to 1.0.2

vmnet1 is host only

vmnet8 is NAT

Both are on a private network

0 Kudos