VMware Communities
martyfelker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Guest Permissions Error

I get the error below when I try to open a Windows XP VM running on Ubuntu 11.04 kernel 2.6.38.11.  I have chown myuserid /hme/myuserid/vmware -R

and chmod +rwx /home/myuserid/.vmwware -R and /etc//vmware -R and chmod +rwx for these directories as well.  Which directories am I missing -

"Unable to change virtual machine power state: VMware Workstation cannot connect to the virtual machine. Make sure you have rights to run the program and to access all directories it uses and rights to access all directories for temporary files."

I haved chown myuserid /home/myuserid/vmware -R and   chown myuserid /home/muuserid/.vmware _r  and chown myuserid /etc/vmware -R and chown myuserid /tmp/vmware-myuserid _r and chown myuserid /tmp /vmware-root -R (maybe I should not have done the last)

Just to make sure I chmod +rwx recursively on all these directories as well.  What am I missinig??

What directories or files am aI missing.  Should I have to re-install teh VM - it worked before a reboot of Ubuntu host.

Marty Felker

Marty Felker
0 Kudos
3 Replies
martyfelker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SOLVED.  Uninstalling and re-insatll WS did the trick

Marty Felker
0 Kudos
martyfelker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not sure why this worked or what the trouble was but just like many other computer problems the solution is reboot or reinstall.

Marty Felker
0 Kudos
Vinster411
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same error, but my issue was the VM workstation was already running but it wasn't open on my screen. I coudn't open another... I had no way to close it but a re-boot of my PC solved my issue. yours seems a little more in depth than mine.

Vin

0 Kudos