VMware Communities
MJAllen
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Authorization Service stalling during start-up

Hi!

I occasionally encounter a problem starting VMs, when I get the following message from VMware Player:

Error while powering on: The VMware Authorization Service is not running.

When I check the status of the VMware Authorization Service via the Services administration applet, it is reported as "Starting" - which grays-out all the other options - as shown in the properties below:

VMwareAuthServiceStatus.png

I've checked that the service is running (as local system account) under a privileged account, and noted that the dependent service (Windows Management Instrumentation service) is running.  The vmware-authd.exe program shows up in the list of processes reported by Task Manager (with 0:00:00 CPU time).

This is only an occasional problem - most of the time, I don't see it.  Previously, when I saw this, a reboot fixed the problem, however, I've just rebooted my system three times and it still isn't getting past "Starting".  I'm a little concerned as I need to give a presentation to a customer that uses a VM and I need to ensure that I can do so successfully.

Incidentally, this isn't a question of not giving the service time to start - my system has been running for an hour as I write this.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit Professional edition on a Dell Latitude E6520 with 8GB RAM.

Any ideas/suggestions?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MJAllen
Contributor
Contributor

Oh yeah, I'm using VMware Workstation 8 (8.0.4 build 744019).

0 Kudos
MJAllen
Contributor
Contributor

No ideas, anyone?  OK.  I have one.  I'm gonna switch to VirtualBox...

0 Kudos
MJ_I
Contributor
Contributor

I was getting this error:

Error while powering on: Transport (VMDB) error -44: Message.

The VMware Authorization Service is not running.

I went to Control Panel... Services and found VMWare Authorization Service. Stopped it. Started it. VMWare started working.

0 Kudos